FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How difficult is it to fit...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How difficult is it to fit...
    Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 2:12pm

I did try by putting what i thought was good advice forward! With a bit of banter to get the thread going.  But then got shot down with team no sense of humor!!

If its any help here is a pic of the self taker track on our old 14 it was a ronstan unit.

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 2:15pm
What sort of angle does the track lie at? It's not flat like mainsheet traveller, is it.
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 2:19pm

no its mounted at about a 75deg. angle.  You control the sheeting position with pins that stop the car.  I have a picture of how the jib sheet works i will post it when i get home from work.  As my earlier post i think the hardest bit would be getting the track ben at the right angle. 

Does your Ovington1 have a foredeck??  I would think it doesnt!

Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 3:15pm
The main question is where the Jib currently sheets. With a self tacker the jib will sheet to about 5-8 cm infront of the mast so if this is fwd of where your jib sheets then you will need to get it recut or a new one.

I think the Ovi 1 had quite a short snout so you could end up with quite a small jib.

To get the jib sheeting closer to the mast you can flatten the curve of the track in the center or even have a W shaped track that lets you pull the sheeting point almost level with the mast.

There is no problem with having the track flat, on a flat deck, if the foredeck on the OVI1 is slightly convex you woud need to put a wedge under each end then just bolt through each of the holes of the track.

Getting the track bent to shape costs about twice as much as just getting a bit of straight track as they expect to snap about half the tracks they do.

If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 3:22pm

Chill people. Play niceley.

When I stuck a self tacker on Suicide Blonde I did it like this.  Worked out the radius of track I needed, and cut a piece of that thick blue foam that you can use in lofts to the desired radius.  Laid up my foam and carbon around that guide, taped in place, a couple of layers to give it "laminated" strength and hey presto.  Then mounted it on the foredeck after cutting the required nibble out of the bottom, the flatter your foredeck the easier this is.  Don't forget to lean it back a bit too.  I reinforced the ends with bits of spare spreader.

I then took my straight bit of ronstan track to a local engineering shop and asked them to roll it to the radius of the foam former which I had taken in with me.  Cost...zero, apart from a fiver for a couple of beers which I insisted.

In fairness you are better buying the non-drilled track, getting it rolled and then drilling and countersinking it, as if it's drilled it will tend to bend around the screw holes rather than evenly.  That said, you could hardly notice, and the jib car never, ever stuck, even in no wind.  Bigger radius of a 14 will help too.

That's the bodge way, I'm sure there's a proper expensive way too...

Edited by Iain C
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 3:42pm

Iain understood my humor as well, i think you will agree that when he calls it a bodge job its fairly substantial and looks pretty damn good! 

Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 4:52pm
Well thankyou...
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

edit: the track is cheap the rolling isn't. Track for a meter depending on type is about £20 > £30 the rolling can make this around £100 if you use a chandlery. The traveller is about £60 >

My track rolling was free (in fact that end of my boat is very similar to ians)...  took it along to a local coachbuilder and the nice man rolled it out for me on the spot to the radius I asked for, all ready to be bodged on.

Edited by Isis
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 5:06pm

Thats a nice job as well Isis, See if Ross and Jim had read my post properly they would of understood what i meant by "If you dont get a reponse from the 14 guys post on the cherub website" which meant you are all very helpfull! And thus being a complement!!  But apparantly thats an idiotic post! or offensive BS! and apparantly your not, hence why 2 of you have posted pictures!!

Isis post some pics of your cherub sailing! it looks pretty sweet from what i have seen so far.

Edited by Merlinboy
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 5:14pm
Thanks merlinboy... id love too but ive yet to see any myself!

There are some rigged on-shore photos about along with a short video of us ragging it back into the slip at weymouth after the cancelled day at the nationals last year but ive not been able to get hold of them.

Unfortunately im spending too much time leadmine sailing these days and shes been locked away in the garage.

Edited by Isis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>