FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rules

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JonnyW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JonnyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules
    Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 7:42pm

Another one folks

I was over the line at the start on Saturday and was hit by a windward boat who didn't do turns

I was told at the end of the race as I was over the line I had no rights, if I had hit (as a starboard boat) another boat on port it would be my fault

Is this the case

Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 8:18pm
20.1 A boat sailing towards the pre-start side of the starting line or its
extensions after her starting signal to start or to comply with rule 30.1
shall keep clear of a boat not doing so until she is completely on the prestart
side.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 8:21pm
Although that does leave hanging what the situation is if you are OCS but NOT returning to the pre start side, so if you were unaware of your OCS status, it could be argued that the windward boat should still be keeping clear. The windward boat is still obliged to avoid collisions.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 08 at 1:00pm
The rule says 'sailing towards the pre-start side of the starting line'.  That means until you start to return you have full rights. Certainly a port tacker would be taking a high risk trying to cross an ocs boat by claiming they have no rights.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 08 at 6:48pm
or someone knowing that the person approching could be confused into giving way....

As others have said unless you knew you were over and had started to return it is still a simple windward leeward situation, Windward should have kept clear and taken a penalty. It does somewhat depend on what was happening above windward though as they may not have been able to take avoiding action.

Remember it is part of the rules that if you can avoid a collision you should. You must not hit another boat to prove they broke the rules!

When over the line look about quickly to see if you have an escape route back to the line. If not let the sails go a little and slow the boat down, egenrally a gap will then present itself fairly quickly and you can get back and restart.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 08 at 4:06pm
Simple WW/LW as the others have said. A couple of months ago I posted re the morality of protesting another sailor when I was unknowingly OCS. That was a standard P/S incident and the Protest Committee found in my favour. I didn't know I was OCS, I carried on racing and had full racing rights.

You don't cede all rights on the water until you start to take corrective action. Likewise (I think although, go on, shoot me down), after an incident requiring a 720 you still have rights until you do those turns (thereafter you are required to keep clear).

I nay case the OOD (and Protest Committee) are the arbiters of who is OCS, not your WW boat.

Edited by English Dave
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply