FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: insurance
    Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 4:09pm
what happens if your sails etc are in your car and your car is either stollen or your kit taken from your car? do you claim from car ins or boat!

What if camping and sails etc taken from pitch!
Noble Marine View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 4:34pm

Noble Marine would pay for replacement kit if it was stolen, assuming that you had taken reasonable steps to secure the equipment.  We would consider reasonable steps to include

• Hiding the equipment, out of sight underneath a boat cover
  • locking it in your car
  • Placing the equipment out of sight in a tent.
  • removing it and taking it home with you

It is difficult to answer whether you should claim from the car, house or boat insurance, as all policies have different levels of cover and exclusions.  For instance, some house or car policies may exclude sports equipment or may exclude items which are covered by a second policy.

All I can say, is that the equipment would be covered by a comprehensive policy from Noble Marine, assuming you had taken steps to secure the equipment (as above).

spiderg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote spiderg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 4:49pm

I have just bought a cheap dinghy and was wondering do I really need insurance either for my own risk or for legal reasons?  As a first time owner I don't know what's required or suggested.

Edited by spiderg
Spiderg
Jon Emmett View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 4:50pm
You need third party insurance to race...
spiderg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote spiderg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 4:54pm
I wouldn't be racing in my boat, infact the local dredger will clip my sails if we raced.  No, I want to simply cruise about the Ayrshire shores and hopefully some British lochs, but I do want to do it legally.
Spiderg
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 05 at 5:05pm

It is a legal requirement to have third party liability insurance on most inland waterways.  In addition many sailing clubs / harbour authorities / marinas etc will not let you launch on their facilities unless you have liability cover.

At many other locations, there is no legal need to have any insurance, but I would ask yourself what would happen, if you were to collide with another expensive boat, or worse still, injure another water user.  It is possible that you could end up losing all of your worldly possessions.

In my opinion, it's not worth the risk, when you consider a policy would cost in the region of £20 - £30.

spiderg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote spiderg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 05 at 9:10am

I'm looking into it as we speak.

I was easily persuaded as I wouldn't like to cause anyone else any hardship or distress for the sake of a few pounds insurance.

Where do I get quotes?

Any online insurance companies recommended?

Edited by spiderg
Spiderg
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 05 at 9:26am

Noble Marine will only request your credit  / debit card details when you decide to puchase a policy and only then, on a secure payment page.

It is possible for most classes of boat to obtain an automatic on-line quotation without even entering your name or address.

If you would prefer, we can offer you a quotation over the telephone.  Send me a pm or give me a call on 01636 707606.

Jonathan

spiderg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote spiderg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 05 at 9:33am
Thank you.  I have just been reliably informed that my local harbour master will give me a key for access to our local slipway only when I can provide proof of third party insurance.  So I guess I better get some insurance.
Spiderg
yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 05 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Contender443

I was going to go with Bishop Skinner until I read this in their policy

"We will not pay for loss of or damage to masts, spars and fittings, sails and standing or running rigging while You are racing Your boat."

Don't like the wording of that.

I'm with Bishop Skinner so was a bit concerned by this, so I dropped them a line. Their response was:

Thank you for your email and I can confirm that on the dinghy policy all racing risks would be covered. The section you refer to is for the Yacht policy. I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Trevor Cogman, Marine Department, Bishop Skinner & Co. Ltd.

Previously I was with Noble Marine for my Laser 3000, had one claim and found them very responsive.

I'd have liked to have stopped with Noble but when I got my second boat the their renewal was £440 (two separate policies) against Bishop Skinner £180 (both boats on a single policy). No experience of claims from BS yet though!

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>