FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

beginners needing advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bluegeorge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bluegeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beginners needing advice
    Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 8:19pm

My sons (11 and 9) and I have all learnt to sail over the summer. We are now looking to purchase our own boat and join our local sailing club. I would be really gratefull for some advice on what we should be looking for. Have just been to boat show and looked at the Vision,Bahia and Xenon. Would this be a good option or too much to soon?. Our experience so far is in Opi's, toppers and Wayfarers.

radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 8:33pm
Just a question to throw in, are you sailing inland or on the sea?

I have sailed all three of the options you list. All the boats are plastic fantastic by which they are all maintenance free and fairly robust.

The Laser Bahia is the newest of the three. Its a great boat but the main doesn't set very well and has rather a lot of ropes all around the mast to make it confusing.

The Xenon is a racey boat with a racing circuit. It is the most powerful of the three and it is a great boat to sail but may be a little to much to handle for a new sailor.

The RS Vision is a good alrounder in my opinion. It is wasy to rig and sail. It can be handles well and isn't as powerful as the Xenon but enough to learn on.

I know the Bahia and Vision can be reefed, unsure on the Xenon, so it is possible to still go out in stronger winds but be able to handle the boat. Instead of the Xenon, you may want to consider the Omega.

Personally I would go for the Vision. Why, they hold their value and can be sold on very easily. I would look at trying one out on the water first, depending on where you live, there are various RS achedemies around the UK that I believe you can try boats.

Another option is to join the local club and then get a sail in a mambers boat. If you mention where abouts you are, then I am sure someone here can assist. Oce you have found the boat you want, then Y+Y, Boatsandoutboards.co,uk and apolloduck.co.uk all have dinghies for sale advertised.
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 8:34pm

in order to provide any real assistance we need to know a few things, your weights, if you intend to sail together regularly or if one of you will sail regularly alone and be joined by the other? your budget and also which your local club is and what they sail there (much easier to improve if you have someone good sailing the same boat who can help you)

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 8:41pm
Everyone always gets this the wrong way round. Don't buy a boat first.
Find a local sailing club that meets the needs of your family. Then ask
several members about what sort of boat will suit the club, its always best
if there are several active boats of a similar type, as you will get tips and
friendly advice, rather than what numpty bought one of those!
You will probably find the club will have several boats that they will
lend/hire to new members to get their sailing experience up, then borrow
from/ crew for club members to see what you and the kids like.
Then contact the class association of the type of boat you have settled on
to find an up to date boat list, and get a second hand one, much cheaper,
and you will do damage as you learn, so a shiny new one can wait a year
or so.
Sailing clubs up and down the country are littered with nearly new boats
that were bought too soon and never see the water.

Hope this helps

AndyMck

Andy Mck
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 9:12pm
As above: join a club first, see what they sail, it's always more fun when there's others about to get tips from etc. Don't get tempted by the new plasticcy ones, the older designs like Wayfarers, GP14 etc have lasted for a reason.  Personally having taught in a Vision I'd say avoid them... You may be better off getting a boat for the kids and starting off crewing for someone yourself - for the kids I'd say definitely a Mirror www.ukmirrorsailing.com , you can sail it with them and there's a great racing and training system.
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
simonjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote simonjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 8:29am

Its so easy to put kids off.   What do they want to do? Go play singlehanded in their own boat? Race two handed in ditto? Both race with Dad? and so on.

Will they worry if they bash Dad's new boat?   In which case secondhand and battered will do for a while until they are used to sailing.

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 1:24pm
AndyMck is absolutely right.

Find a club, crew or borrow boats for a while, determine what the active classes at the club are and select the one that most closely fits the bill. Talk to the owners and class association, and get advice on buying second hand. Only buy when you are completely sure that you will make use of it.

As mentioned by others here, there are too many boats in dinghy compounds that were bought brand new by people new to the sport that have been sailed twice in the last 10 years, and its funny how these boats tend to be those labelled as family racer/cruiser !! ie. Topper Sport 14 & 16, etc. etc.

Paul
bluegeorge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bluegeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 3:20pm

Thank you all for the great advice.

Our local club will be South Cerney in Gloucestershire. I think they have lasers for members to hire.We had already checked it out, but had thought it would be better if we had our own boat. So thank you for putting us straight on that one!.

I think it would be really easy for us to get caught up in the excitment of buying our first boat and get it completly wrong.

Thanks again

Lisa

andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 7:04pm
Good luck with the sailing, as always the more you put in the more you will
get hooked.

Andy
Andy Mck
ChrisJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 08 at 5:38pm

Take a look at a 2nd hand Laser 2000 (IF there are some already at South Cerney).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>