FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GNAV v's Kicker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GNAV v's Kicker
    Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 12:58pm
Now one of the burning reasons for returning here and potentially facing
another firestorm was because of this question which has been vexing
me. After travelling the best part of 40 miles without one how effective is
a GNAV really?

Now I haven't had a great deal of experience of conventional kickers, my
Laser 3000 had one, but the Musto had a wiered cantilever thing and the
RS and my Alto both have Gnavs.

I am wondering, if the GNAV actually does the job that the original kicker
came about to do as well as it did.

So to refresh my recollection of how kickers came about some old boy
noticed without one, the older style sails would lift the end of the boom,
collapse the leech, more air escapes than required, boat slows down, or
more the reverse of that, he found by additionally pulling the boom down
it kept the leech tight when required, or so I assume I forget who it was,
some wooden masted boat it was that long ago and he won by quite a big
margin.

We used to mess about with boom vangs in the early days of windsurf
racing when we had no full battens and CYT sails, but they made no
appreciable difference and along with topping lifts got left in historys
wastebasket.

The thing that appears to happen that is different with a GNAV, is the
bending of the lower mast section, I must admit it was more pronounced
on the RS than it is on the stiffer mast of my current ride, but it is still
there just the same. The effect this has, is to both flatten the sail and
narrow the entry at that point of the foil, making it shallow, so rather
than just powering up the sail with a tighter leech whilst retaining a nice
deep foil, it has the opposite effect.

So that's just my perception, I'm wondering if anyone else has any recent
experience of both systems, I'm almost of the view that having both
would be beneficial. O.K. Jumanji might have to divert his stampede and I
realise that is a bonus for lots of boats.

But does this happen? Do other craft combine both, Does anyone else
feel the GNAV aint quite as effective as a full blown kicker system..

Am I placing to much importance on it, it's all you hear folk talking about,
kicker this kicker that, is it boat park rhetoric?
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 1:04pm
I prefer conventional kicker systems, personally i find Gnavs a bit clumsey.  I have never seen a boat with both and dont think there would be any benefit.  I know that some of the 14 fleet are moving back from Gnavs to convensional kicker systems.why dont yyou rig up a kicker system grumpf and trial it.  The only disadvantage i can see is it gets in the way of the crew a little.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 1:29pm
I don't think I can, the boom would probably fall off the way it's cobbled
together right now, round gooseneck into a square hole, but I have been
thinking about it adding one in parallel, amazing how having to sail without
anything focusses the mind.

Well an here's another redundancy, it's rear sheeted, in fact the sail is
hopelessly inefficient unless I'm almost block to block it's that slack leeched.
(There again if it hadn't been this year we'd have stayed on the shore).

So you really need the Gnav to be functioning if you want to sail sheeted out
or your left with a flogging mess where the main should be..

Edited by G.R.F.
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 1:54pm

i think you right about the GNAV on the 500. it does seem to bend the lower mast rather a lot. i countered this by using a fair amount of rig tension and pretty tight lowers to reduce that bend. i also found the system needs a bit of fiddling to get the right range of play needed for different wind speeds.

HOWEVER the GNAV on both the 300 and 29er are much better. the 300 one is slightly different in that it slides (rolls) on the mast. i think the reason it works on these 2 boat is simply because the lower masts on these boats are that much stiffer than the rs500.

i personally feel that in the breezier stuff GNAV's are better because they reduce the chances of being caught/ trapped on anything (possibly safer) and give you much mre space to move from side to side. in the lighter stuff then it just makes it more comfortable to sail (for the crew). on the other hand, will it make that much difference on a singlehander? how often are you that close to the mast? and is the extra space worth the extra complication and cost?

one thing a GNAV does is change the way you would use kicker.

sorry to digress but i actually dont know what GNAV means, can anyone fill me in?

russ, do you know why the 14's are moving back to the conventional kicker?

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 1:58pm

A conventional kicker produces a forward thrust at the gooseneck which is proportional to the amount of kicker tension (thus proportional to the leech tension) which induces bend (there may be strut(s) or lower(s) to counteract it).  The kicker pulls back at the heel of the mast with a similarly proportional force, but because it's at the heel it has no effect.   So put simply, more kicker equals more bend trying to be induced at the gooseneck.

A gnav swaps these 2 forces over - the forward thrust is induced further up the mast where the hardware meets the mast.   This is countered by the boom being thrust backwards with a similarly proportional force.  In this case the backward force on the boom (which presumably is bolted to the gooseneck in some way otherwise it would just fall off) will to some extent mitigate the forward force at the top of the lever.  In practice this 'push-me-pull-me' act some way up from the heel of the mast will be trying to induce an S-bend - imagine you've got a long whippy cane, both ends clamped, and then you get hold of it with both hands and pull with one hand whilst you push with the other.

I would have thought from the above that the gnav would induce less bend, albeit subject to positioning of struts/lowers/gooseneck/heel etc.  That's an intuitive guess rather than an engineering/mathematical proof - although it wouldn't take too much of an engineer to come up with the proof (or otherwise).

The only boat I've sailed with a gnav is an RS300 - it's the best kicker system I've ever used.  It automatically gears - the more tension you've got the more purchase you have due to the way the angle of the lever changes as you wind it on.

Mike

IanW View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote IanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 1:58pm
Gnav is vang backwards or upsidedown
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 2:22pm
You could try one of these.

A Temple vang. No funny mast bending to deal with and improved room in the cock pit. Less blocks / wire etc
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 3:04pm
O.K. Jack, you've got my total and undivided attention..

Where should I stick that?

Er that's without bending over thanks.

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 3:12pm
GRF,

The temple vang is basically a prodder extending out of the back of the foredeck. The kicker is then attached in a vertical plane between the prodder and the boom. In theory this only increases leech tension without all the lower mast bending. The picture shown by Jack shows the prodder on the mast stump.

However there are drawbacks with the temple vang. Sometimes it is desirable to induce bend in the lower mast. For this reason the Scorpions experimented with having both a conventional kicker and a temple vang.

I have to say though I reckon there is more chance of snagging yourself on the prodder than there is of getting caught by a standard kicker.

Alternatively GRF, you could fit your boat with a full width cockpit traveller and then you'd only need the kicker for downwind work. Sheet the main on hard upwind to control leech tension and play the traveller!
iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by craiggo

GRF, 
Alternatively GRF, you could fit your boat with a full width cockpit traveller and then you'd only need the kicker for downwind work. Sheet the main on hard upwind to control leech tension and play the traveller!

So, like a catamaran then.

And you're suggesting this to GRF!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>