FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5,4,1 or 6,3,go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
vscott View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5,4,1 or 6,3,go
    Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 2:35pm
Because we have 3 short quick races in the morning and want to keep one routine for all starts we are on
3 2 1 go

Opens are 5 4 1 go

Alwasy flags,
96% starts from a committee boat

KWSC
Mk IV Osprey 1314 Think Again

Kielder Water Sailing Club
Helmsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helmsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 3:10pm
If laps are very short and there are several races to be started then it may be desirable to start at 3 minute intervals, in which case the 6-3-go time sequence is convenient. However this sequence is non standard so may confuse visitors if they have not read the sailing instructions. It is possible to start at 5 minute intervals with the 5-4-1-go sequence, but if laps are long enough it is even better to start at 10 minute intervals to avoid having to display individual recall signals during the starting sequence of the next race. When there are many entries and races are started from a committee boat it is better to use the standard procedures set out in the racing rules of sailing. 
Mad Scientist
Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 4:57pm

5,4,1 Go

Flags with sounder

From a committee boat.

For Club racing then it's a mass handicap start (505's in with 4.7's and an increasingly larger number of Flying Fifteens).  When we have an external event then they have their own start (5,4,1 go) followed by a handicap start

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 8:50pm

Hi everyone,

My club changed from 6 - 3 - 0, to 5 - 4 - 1 - 0 shortly after the rules changed in 2001.  We use flags with an Autohoot horn system (which is great).  For club racing, there is just one start as we only have 'handicap racing'. If we host open meetings, then there are separate starts for each fleet, as normal.  Usually, for club racing, we use shore based starts with transits, as most members, who are on Race Officer duty, for club racing, are just too lazy to launch a committee boat, even though there are two readily available.

It's a shame because it makes such a difference having a decent first beat to spread out the fleet, instead of a one sided beat, fetch, reach or run to the first mark, which usually happens and boats often raft up at the first mark. 

Open meeting starts are usually on the water using a committee boat and a course mark with flags and horns.

One thing that has always puzzled me was why things changed.  I can understand the 'unofficial' change by many clubs in the 80's and 90's from 10 - 5 - 0 to 6 - 3 - 0 as the former was unnecessarily too long, particularly for dinghies, small cats and keelboats.  So what was the logic behind the change to 5 - 4 - 1 - 0?  I have always wondered as I never had a problem with 6 - 3 - 0.  As a Race Officer, I  found it easier to use 6 - 3 - 0 than 5 - 4 - 1 - 0, when there are multiple starts and/or General Recalls.  Does anyone know why the ISAF introduced the change to the present 5 - 4 - 1 - 0 system in 2001?

Ian   (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 08 at 10:05pm

Grafham uses 6-3-0 as we have 5 fleets to get going.

IMO 5-4-1-0 is for people who don't know how to use their watch. 

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Helmsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helmsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 08 at 9:06am

The 5-4-1-go time sequence is intended mainly for open meetings which usually have committee boat starts. Because of the large numbers of boats and the absence of transit marks it is often necessary to have general recalls, and penalty starts are then used to make boats respect the line. Postponements are also common, so race specific warning signals are needed. The standard time sequence gives plenty of time for boats to position themselves on the correct side of the line so as to avoid a penalty. Shore based starting lines are often used for normal club racing because they require less effort. There are usually transit marks too, so general recalls and penalty starts are seldom required. The main reason for using the 5-4-1-go time sequence for shore based starts is to maintain compatibility with committee boat starts and the Racing Rules of Sailing. Lamps are much better than flags for shore based starts because they provide excellent contrast against the dark cluttered background. It is also relatively easy to switch them on and off automatically. A wide repertoire of signals can be sent from a single lamp using Morse code which is much easier to remember than flags, and timing is very precise if the signals are generated by computer.  The MYC has been using this system for cruiser and fast dinghy handicap racing for several years.

Mad Scientist
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 12:23pm

Shore based or committee boat start?

Flags or a light system for starting?

We use 5,4,1,Go

Mixed fleet start: Fast h/cap (+ cats) & Med h/cap

Nick
D-Zero 316

gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 11:02am

5-4-1 is the world recognised standard. I cannot see any reason for using any other unless races are very short - in which case the team racing 3-2-1 could be used.. The 1 minute gun is important as this is when I,Z or Black flag rules kick in. The 5 minute gun can be changed, However I believe that increasingly clubs favour using a pre-warning signal at 10 minutes before the start for the first start in a series.

For our dinghy regatta we use 5-4-1 with at least a minute between the start of one fleet and the warning signal of the next - gives every one a chance to breath, and check flags.

Individual and geneal recall flags are on poles, usually displayed by the RO or his assistant

Gordon

Gordon
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 11:10am

The problem I see with an indefinite gap (at least a minute) between starts is that racers will be uncertain when to expect their 5.

With a continuous series of starts, I use the 1 minute of the preceding  fleet to count me down to starting my watch on their start/our 5-min.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 12:37pm
For normal club racing, we use the shore based line, and have three rolling starts on 3-2-1-Go, with Go for Fast being 3 for Slow, and Go for Slow being 3 for Solos- all running off of an auto-hoot. Opens we do have a committee boat, and do switch to 5-4-1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>