FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greece vs Croatia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SeaPower View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SeaPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greece vs Croatia
    Posted: 31 Mar 20 at 3:36pm
I've been on several sailing tours in Croatia for the last 6 years. I agree with what some of the comments here about the infinite corruption and arbitrariness but there are so many positive things that you just have to forgot about all the negative ones.

We rented a villa in Istria from villsy (here is the link if you'd like to check it out -villsy.com - Very nice people) and went straight to Dubrovnik. That was like one of the best experiences.

My wife wants to go to Greece this year and I'd like to get back to Istria or visit Dalmatia, but you know the women...we are going to Greece.
barco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote barco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 20 at 10:54am
Turkey is incredibly beautiful! And on top of that it is super cheap. Last year we were there for a fortnight (also travelling in the country) and we loved it so much. I really recommend traveling this beautiful country! Also the locals were extremely nice. Food was also quite good. It is also so much cheaper than Croatia or Greece. Unfortunately, due to the current Covid19 situation it will not be possible to travel to Turkey without problems - or return home without problems. Without a test result this will hardly be possible. Hopefully next year it’s possible to go there without troubles! If I had to choose between Greece and Croatia, I would choose Croatia. But Greece is also very nice (unfortunately I don’t know a lot of it!)
julienwsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote julienwsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 20 at 9:07am
For Greece I would also recommend the Ionan Islands. It's very beautiful, nice for families but also for like less experienced groups. If you are more experienced in sailing you will probably also enjoy the areas around the Saronic Gulf and the Peloponnese coast. But you should definitely try out Greece! Lovely experience. 
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
barco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote barco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 20 at 12:00pm
A friend also told me about the Ionian Sea! Although the winds there have not been quite so predictable in recent years, he thinks that it is an ideal spot for beginners. But he would rather start from Levkas, there is a big marina with well-known charter companies…I still gotta try this out ;-)
nutonthetiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nutonthetiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 10:54pm
Sitting here in lockdown, holidays seem a distant prospect.
Having sailed in Greece, Turkey and Croatia. I would never go back to Croatia. Poor food, poor service and generally a rip off. Corruption rife including the police.
Greece great if you avoid August. The Turks have always been very hospitable.
PauloD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PauloD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 21 at 11:32am
Hi, new to the forum. We have been on a few flotilla trips to Croatia which were all very enjoyable (even with the Bora). We had a flotilla booked for Turkey this September but it was cancelled for uncertainty over Covid. We would like to book something in its place and thought of Greece (Corfu), Italy or Cote d'Azur as alternatives. The problem I have encountered, is that the vast majority of companies offering these flotillas are merely agents for charter firms keen to sell me a charter and have no skin in the flotilla itself. We enjoy the community of the flotilla and that somebody will book the moorings so we can rock up in the knowledge that we'll have a spot. I did a couple of trips in Corsica, but there was a very fixed (Galilcly Intransigent) route which took no account of the weather or sailing conditions, and as a consequence both were a bit rubbish. This is why I am wary of companies just selling on flotilla packages with a fixed route. Can anyone recommend a flotilla provider where they are the actual company delivering the service and who do not decide on where they're going until the night before?
Thanks
Noah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 21 at 6:30pm
Sailing Holidays, no question. We’ve been on 3 or 4 flotillas with them and they a) treat you as grown-ups once they’re happy you can handle the boat and b) will adjust the route according to the skill and aptitude of the group and the weather.
Nick
D-Zero 316

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 21 at 2:52pm
Never had a problem with Sunsail - their more advanced flotillas are partly bareboat (ie go where you please and meet up down the coast or stay with a group and be sociable).  We used to go with Neilson, also cheery and flexible, but the boats were getting a bit dodgy (one year the tiller fell off mid Gulf of Gukova) so I swapped to Sunsail. .... then just started chartering, but that's another kettle of fish.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12