FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supernova 30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dave Hardy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supernova 30
    Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 1:31pm

Can anyone help??? 

I am considering a purchase of a Supernova 30.  It is circa 1975 built 30 foot keelboat almost certainly a half tonner built by Gardas marine Poole The boat has been modified to a masthead rig. and has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.  It has  a RCA Dolphin 12 hp petrol engine.We would expect to use it both for club racing in handicap fleet and cruising in the Irish Sea  
Has anyone sailed one of these, if so what is your opinion of sailing/cruising and racing
Does anyone have any views on the RCA Dolphin engine.

Hope somebody out there can help as there seems to bea complete derth of information on this boat  

Dave Hardy
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Dave Hardy

Can anyone help??? 

I am considering a purchase of a Supernova 30.  It is circa 1975 built 30 foot keelboat almost certainly a half tonner built by Gardas marine Poole The boat has been modified to a masthead rig. and has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.  It has  a RCA Dolphin 12 hp petrol engine.We would expect to use it both for club racing in handicap fleet and cruising in the Irish Sea  
Has anyone sailed one of these, if so what is your opinion of sailing/cruising and racing
Does anyone have any views on the RCA Dolphin engine.

Hope somebody out there can help as there seems to bea complete derth of information on this boat  

Is the pertol engine inboard or an outboard? It would be strange to have a petrol inboard on a yacht surely?
Needs to sail more...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:28am

Hi Tom Thanks for taking and interest, it is an inboard   I admit it is unusual, however dolphin do or did make marine petrol engines and they are inboard.  however i have never seen one and don't know anyrthig about them, like can you get spares etc

Dave  

Dave Hardy
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:59am

Originally posted by Dave Hardy

has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.

That's a lot for a 30+ year old 30 footer. I'd expect something around 0.90. As an example, S/33s are currently rating 0.925.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 08 at 9:23am
  Thanks for your interest Stefan.  I agree that 0.930 is very high fora 30 year old design however it is the only information I have to go on.   The only boat I can find that appears to be of this design is  listed is a Supernova 31 and is a boat called Demolition listed on the Half tonner web site. I have written to the listed owners to ask for their advice 
Dave Hardy
Racecruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Racecruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 6:35pm
[S/33s are currently rating 0.925.

Hi Stefan - guess you mean Sigma 33 and their one design rating is 0.915 which is low even for a boat that pushes a lot of water around especially downwind! See you for the Nab race on Saturday.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 6:41pm
You mean next Saturday! Had me worried there for a minute. I obviously found an old figure for the S/33. Bandit rating now! Never mind, we'll show them our transom.
garth weaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote garth weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 7:06pm

Demolition races against us (Projection 762) at the Helford River Sailing club (google for website).  A nice half-tonner with IRC rating of 0.927 - reasonably well optimised I would suggest.

She competed in Dartmouth this year with some success, but not as competitive as Per Elise, Falmouth half-tonner, who was 2nd in 2007 Half-Ton Cup.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave Hardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 8:09pm

Thanks Gareth,

That is really useful and intersting info.  I did get a reply from the owners of Demolition which also helped to build a sort of picture.  As for the sale am going off the idea unless the seller drops the price, too much work to do and money to spend

Thanks again

Dave Hardy
Nigel Theadom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nigel Theadom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 08 at 9:10am

I am pretty certain that you will get lots of help from Stephen Jones who, from your description designed and probably helped to build 'Supernova' a masthead 1/2 tonner - the original at least had a distinctive deck. Supernova was a forerunner to 'Demolition' and Smiffy and then the Hustler 32. A Masthead Hustler 32 which I presume to have similar dimensions rates about 0.910.

If possible ditch the dolphin which is probably still located in the bow for the IOR rating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>