FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

+plus plus+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: +plus plus+
    Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

are you going to make any more of the plus plus? I think it looks like an amazing boat, I would love to sail one! I all for one offs which are well thought through!

Anyone can build one! There's a set of rules, go for it. For that matter an old I14 hull might make a sensible base, I saw a semi derelict one at Weston last year that didn't look too old, strip out the shell, add wings and an RS600 rig!

Its by no means impossible I might do another one some time, but at the moment I'm a bit bored with boatbuilding.
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 6:57pm

looks pretty cool

mpl720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mpl720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 7:16pm

Blaze a bit like ++ ?

Well I suppose so - similar length - ++ about 2" longer, width 2.5 v 2.7m but sail size - a biggest difference there ....  The Blaze carries 10.0m and the ++ looks way over 12m.  (Remember the Laser carries only 7.07m !)  So I'd suggest that the ++ would definately appeal to larger helms !

Another way to go is to ask is there any real support for a 'big boys' rig for the Blaze ?  We've been considering it for a couple of years now in the association as those much over about 95kg do suffer relatively across the full range of conditions.  The concensus is that a '600' size rig is too big without a trapeze as there are limits to what works with wings when its really windy but that 11.5 metres should be possible with a longer stick (and possibly a carbon one at that)  Might make more sense to build on prospering class and grow it on the back of an already supported and expanding circuit.   

We have followed this discussion with interest - The ++ is a great concept if you like wings and are 'adult' sized but I would not be tempted to make it narrower on the waterline.   Of course you can go faster still if you do - but mortals have to  race and enjoy it as well ! 

Anyone interested in a 14' winged weight carrier with a big rig - come along to the Blaze association stand at Alexandra palace.  If enough do we'll seriously look at a variant - and maybe call it 'XX'  ? If those behind the ++ wanted to maintain a seperate class development we'd still be happy to assist in any way we can. More people racing and enjoying it is good whatever they sail ...... 

Cheers - Mike Lyons - Blaze Class association

PS - TOTALLY independent from the manufacturer in case you ever wondered (that's why it works ....!) 

nathan View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 05 at 11:36pm

Mike

Whats the minimum weight for a blaze nowadays? I am right in thinking all the weight equalisation has been chucked and everyone's sailing on max racks and no lead? Apart from the gooseneck being lowered are the old ali masts the same as on the new 'x' blazes? ie with just the new sail upgrade is an old boat competitive?

Cheers

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 8:14am

Jim,  I'm just trying to understand your rise of floor rule...

"Rise of floor shall be measured with an inverted U shaped gauge. The two legs shall be 900mm apart and 100mm long. A line shall be marked exactly between the two legs of the U. This establishes a rise of floor of 100mm at a point 450mm each side of the centreline. The gauge shall be run along the boat from the bow until a point is reached where both legs are in contact with the hull of the boat and the centre mark is in contact with the centreline of the keel. This point shall be marked as point A. The gauge shall then be run along the hull until the centre mark is no longer touching the hull or the end of the hull is reached. This point shall be marked as point B. The distance between point A and point B shall be at least 1.2m. If bumps or distortions exist that in the measurer's opinion exist solely or primarily to affect these measurements then the measurer should estimate where the measurement points would have come without those distortions and mark points A and B appropriately."

Up to the marking of point A, everything is clear.  Aft of point A I am not so clear.  Is it acceptable for only the centre of the gauge to touch the keel with the two legs not touching the hull?

I guess if the intention is to maintain a fairly narrow waterline beam then the answer should be yes...

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Blobby

Jim,  I'm just trying to understand your rise of floor rule...

[snip]

Up to the marking of point A, everything is clear.  Aft of point A I am not so clear.  Is it acceptable for only the centre of the gauge to touch the keel with the two legs not touching the hull?

I guess if the intention is to maintain a fairly narrow waterline beam then the answer should be yes...

You're quite right. Its b****y difficult writing rise of floor rules, I don't knw of a class that has a good one.

Jim C
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 8:32am

very true - and I can see for the ++ it is doubly difficult as you are trying to prevent both very wide and very narrow boats...

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 9:03am

Looks like a Blaze to me ...

When are the Blaze fleet going to come clean on this handicap - the added sail area, widened the boat and removed lead ... the PY should be adjusted!!

Rick

Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 2:00pm

I think you'll find the sail area has been reduced - http://www.blaze-sailing.org.uk/

Isn't the point of the yardstick that it's based on real results but can be changed by any race officer? In which case just petition you RO and make sure Whitstable Yacht Club sends it's returns in - job done with the minimum of whingeing

Edited by Matt Jackson
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 2:06pm

Jim

Aren't you tempted to make it a one design and prove you development guys build better boats? You said yourself you're getting bored with boatbuilding.

I, for one would give it a test sail as the range of boats for me is fairly limited because of my largeness - even thinking of taking Mike up on his 'Supersize me' Blaze idea.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>