FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er medal race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er medal race
    Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by Simon Lovesey

Regardless of the final result and actual quality of racing,  this must rank as some of the best sailing we have seen on TV,  we had thrills, spills,  drama,  and action,  all the elements that make for great TV.  Even the non sailing members of the family were gripped

Don't agree. I found the Finn and Yngling finals much more exciting. Once the 49er race disintegrated into chaos my interest waned. So you've got a screenful of heaving grey sea with one capsized boat  and no other boats in sight. Is that really that interesting?

What was also strange was that the 49ers did not actually appear all that fast downwind. I'm aware this was perception not reality - nevertheless I was expecting a spectacle that didn't come over on TV. By contrast when the 49ers were racing in F2/3 on day 1 they did look fast, by virtue of having other boats in close proximity.

For anybody who's still interested, it looks like the Yngling Bronze has been awarded to France instead of Greece, following a protest and redress (to be confirmed). It seems odd to have held the medal ceremonies before the protests were completed. 

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Originally posted by JimC

I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal. I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did. Disappointing

Jim, I greatly respect you, but this is just utter rubbish.  If we ever want sailing to be watched by non sailors, this is exactly what they will wat to see.  Fast boats in challenging conditions.

So what do you disagree with? That it was something of a lottery depending on how the gusts hit?
I've been in something of that that situation: narrow gate, extreme conditions, not really being able to pick your gybe, and to my way of thinking it is a bit of a lottery. Full marks for drama, and yes I wasn't able to sit still when the Aussie guys hit the piss and lost the medal, but is it really a good thing that the whole result of 4 years campaigning should come down to who gets lucky on the last gybes?

Or are you disagreeing with me when I say that I thought they'd look better on the box than they did? How do you know how good I thought they'd look to tell me I'm wrong when I say I was disappointed?
We were discussing it over lunch at my sailing club and I was by no means the only one who felt that you had to understand what was going on to appreciate how on the edge the boats are and that the sense of it really didn't come over. Unless you've tried the sketchy game of bearing away from the windward mark in big breeze and waves do you really understand why they were being so lairy and taking the marks so wide?

18 footer racing tended to produce a bit better film, but of course the camera boats could be close enough to really get in the way of the racers... not an option at the games really. The long lenses (and all the rain) took a lot of the drama out for me, but what do you do? And my oath it was seriously windy out there, but you really didn't get the sense of that either...

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what comments I get at work on Monday and who makes comments about which race... But personally I'm not particularly bothered whether sailing is watched by non sailors or not.

Edited by JimC

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:09pm

But personally I'm not particularly bothered whther sailing is watched by non sailors or not.

In principal, me neither. However it seems that's a necessary condition for sailing continuing as an Olympic sport.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

In principal, me neither. However it seems that's a necessary condition for sailing continuing as an Olympic sport.

That seems to be a myth. Of course the IOC regularly changes its mind about what factors are important and what aren't for a sport to be in the games, but TV coverage is not that high on the list at the moment. It was about 8 years ago, but that's history. A couple of sports with pretty good TV ratings are or have been on the chop list.

Sailing has a lot of pluses. Its got a long Olympic history, its relatively cheap to put on (no stadium, no pool, no lake, no artficial hills), the legacy facilities are relatively useful (Qingdao was probably chosen because that was where the Chinese wanted a former Olympic marina and facilities: nothing to do with its merits as a venue) and a whole bunch of other factors.
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

For anybody who's still interested, it looks like the Yngling Bronze has been awarded to France instead of Greece, following a protest and redress (to be confirmed). It seems odd to have held the medal ceremonies before the protests were completed. 

Nah - they've update the protest decisions and the overalls on the ISAF site to include the redress for the frenchies and a DSQ for AUS still leaves the Greeks in Bronze.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:36pm
You're right, I got befuddled by the double points.
ColH View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:53pm

Originally posted by Roy Race

I agree. I thought it was a bit silly and a poor advert for the sport. I hate to
say it, but GRF could be right. It didn't look stupidly windy, but the best 49er
sailors in the world couldn't get round the course. I bet a well sailed 420
would have won that race on the water.

I think, to non-sailors, the drifters would have been a worse advertisement. The sailing in the 49er race may have got a bit lary and daft, but purely as a sporting story, you couldn't have made up that drama better.

However, I'm really hoping the 470s get a similar breeze - I reckon they will make an even better spectacle.

Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 6:57pm
I think the Brazilians had the idea costing in under genoa....
Ultimately I think it was the waves rather than the wind that ultimately caused all the trouble.

Edited by Lukepiewalker
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 7:02pm
dam i missed it, had to race.

anyone know if you can watch it again? does bbc iplayer do it?
Tessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 7:05pm

We were discussing it over lunch at my sailing club and I was by no means the only one who felt that you had to understand what was going on to appreciate how on the edge the boats are and that the sense of it really didn't come over. Unless you've tried the sketchy game of bearing away from the windward mark in big breeze and waves do you really understand why they were being so lairy and taking the marks so wide?

The Danes were both trapezing into the finish but I saw others with the crew praying in the middle of the boat.

Yes the 49er race had us on the edge of our seats, both me and the 29er youngster in the same room. I have sailed in those conditions in a properly classic sort of dinghy, and I still think some of the leeward mark roundings were taken far too wide, not that it matttered as staying upright seemeed to be more important.

I have just watched the evening sailing program and it seems to me now that the wind varied quite a lot from one medal race to another and we didn't get many figures re the wind strength.

I do hope the Danes hang on to Gold - maybe they would win simply on the fewest capsizes?

Tessa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>