FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er medal race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er medal race
    Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by golfdane

Originally posted by Scooby_simon

So, which rules were broken?

MR13 (in regards to quarantine of MR contending vessels): In place so you can't modify a  boat prior to the medal race (boats are normally not checked and measured afterwards, since the result announced immediately after the race stands, if no protests goes against it). This is why the RC protested (protest 66), to secure (recertified by the OMC) the croatian boat wasn't modified.

Appendix G. (identification): According to the jury: In place to facilitate identification by media and referees. When the OMC and the RC allowed the boat, knowing it sailed with incorrect identification, is it not prudent to penalize it.

NoR4, SI3 (camera): Deemed to be of no advantage. In the conditions of the medal race, would I agree. The camera sits fairly low, and would lower the center of gravity slightly, which might be as advantageous as not having it would be in light conditions. IOW, one can speculate towards what the camera might do, but it surely didn't make the danes sail fast. The rules states: MAY....

But replacement kit is allows and this was granted as the appropiate dodco was files at the earliest opp....

If they had been protested that the boat did not measure and that it did not, then they get DSQ.

Re.  ID, If I was sailing the race and in order to sail a good race you need to know what EVERYONE else is doing.  I assume the whole fleet saw the DEN boat break the mast and go back.  If I spotted a boat on the course that was not one of the 10 I was expecting, I would instantly think, hang on, who can that be, it must be the DEN boat as they broke their boat.  No one else would be ALLOWED on the course.

As you state the camera AMY be carried.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 8:52pm

But replacement kit is allows and this was granted as the appropiate dodco was files at the earliest opp....

It looks as though your brain's been working faster than your fingers, Scoob... 

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 08 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Black no sugar

It looks as though your brain's been working faster than your fingers, Scoob... 

Yep.

But replacement kit is allowed and this was granted as the appropiate dodco was filed at the earliest opp....

As you state the camera MAY be carried.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 12:10am
Does anybody know what the result was?  I can't remember who borrowed who's boat.  Were they disqualified?  I just can't find a proper report anywhere.
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 7:14am
The Danes borrowed the croatian boat and, despite a protest, an appeal and a hearing at the CAS, the Danes won gold, the spanish silver and the Germans bronze.  Italy were 4th.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
RyanV49er View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanV49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 9:57am
I agree with Massimo in a way.  They shouldn't have sailed the 49ers in those conditions...  When guys break their masts, that's the time to call it a day.  I feel that there was pressure on the PRO to get a result after the delayed medal race the day before for the finns, so he forced it through...
Online sailing: For when you just can't get to the club:
Visser49erracing
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 11:07am
CAS have thrown out the protest, original result from the day stands, the Danes have the gold, end of story, thankfully!!
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
golfdane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote golfdane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by RyanV49er

I agree with Massimo in a way.  They shouldn't have sailed the 49ers in those conditions...  When guys break their masts, that's the time to call it a day.  I feel that there was pressure on the PRO to get a result after the delayed medal race the day before for the finns, so he forced it through...

Yeah... It became pretty much a game of chance. The waves were the real problem for a boat that small. A skilled crew might be capsizing less, but damage to equipment is not something you can control that much. If you are unlucky, it only takes one fall.

RyanV49er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanV49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 12:33pm
Yep, it's complete luck whether you break a mast in the 49er in that wind speed.  We did ours in kiel. just pulled a bearaway in 30 knots and watched it crumple.  We did nothing wrong, and had normal rig settings for the conditions.  it was just bad luck.  When it's as windy as it was in beijing, with such big waves, 49ers really shouldn't be on the water.  They should all take out Picos instead....
Online sailing: For when you just can't get to the club:
Visser49erracing
Skiffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 08 at 10:23pm
the conditions where not any worse than the holland 49er medal race or even some of the racing at the 49er europeans in Palma. The difference was that everyone was really light because it was China, all the 49er guys said that it was not the conditions but there weight and normally it would not have been a problem.

As for there mast breaking it was bad luck but was it also that they had not tested that mast in enough breeze. Sounds like it was one of the newer masts which have been breaking all year and they should have realised that the new bottem sections are crap. The brit squad have all broken 1 each and some 2 which have had less than 2 weeks sailing on them, compared to the slightly older sticks which are doing fine as usual. I certainly would not have gone to the games using a bottem section that was less than a year old this time round.

Anyway hopefully our the new rig should with stand a lot more... But one thing is for sure its massive!! We now have an extra 1.5sqm on the mainsail and close to 0.5sqm on the jib which brings the total up to 23sqm upwind which is insane. I can not wait to get sailing it properly instead of 30mins we had the other day.
49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>