FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er medal race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
golfdane View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote golfdane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er medal race
    Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 3:34pm

Originally posted by RyanV49er

Maximum 15 knots? Where did you get this from?  it's usually 25knots for the 49er.

Pretty sure I read it somewhere, but can't find it now.... :(

golfdane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote golfdane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 3:37pm

From the race report:
Date: Sun 17 Aug 08
Start time: 16:35
Race status: Result
Conditions: Rain
Temperature: 27 C
Humidity: 100

I think the warning signal is 4 minutes prior to the start.... :)

RyanV49er View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanV49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 3:37pm
Upper limit is 25 knots constant or 30 knots in one gust.  Not sure if this has changed but it was this last time I checked.  Definately not 15 knots :)
Online sailing: For when you just can't get to the club:
Visser49erracing
Chris 249 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by RyanV49er

ut I wish the lawyers would leave sailing alone. 

Was it a lawyer who lodged the appeal? I thought it was someone from a
sailing or sporting association?

Was it a lawyer who sailed?

That's a bit like blaming a protest committee for getting involved
because
someone lodged a protest, or a football ref for getting involved because
someone handballs the ball.

Edited by Chris 249
RyanV49er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanV49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 3:54pm
The Countries Olympic Committees (not the sailors) are taking the protest committee to the court of Arbitration for Sport.  The ESP and ITA Olympic committees will use lawyers, so basically, it's NOTHING like blaming a ref for getting involved. 

Edited by RyanV49er
Visser49erracing
GraemeB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GraemeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 4:04pm

I hope that the lawyers keep their noses out, the America's cup has been reduced to a complete farce/ non-event....who cares frankly.

Sailing's profile in the UK will rarely have been higher, which is a good thing - period - regardless of the merits or otherwise of the medals races. 

Hopefully the sport will benefit at all levels as a result.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 08 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by golfdane

From the race report:
Date: Sun 17 Aug 08
Start time: 16:35
Race status: Result
Conditions: Rain
Temperature: 27 C
Humidity: 100

I think the warning signal is 4 minutes prior to the start.... :)

I'm sure I read something that stated that the race sequence was started before 16:30 (but only just) and this made it a valid start as the prep signal must be by 16:30.  (I said warning above, it should have been prep.)

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Spyderman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spyderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 10:01am
Originally posted by AndersDK

Ok, as far as I understand it, it seems like CAS has to decide whether the Jury acted correctly or not. IMO there seems to be a significant chance of that CAS will support the jury in their decision, aka ESP & ITA will lose appeal case.

One thing I dont see very clear, is ITA's case. They claim to have sailed to obtain the 5th spot in the medal race, in order to secure the bronze medal. Not seing the DEN boat on the race course (and proberbly wondering what the h... the Croatians were doing) they figured 5th place was sufficient for the bronze.

After the race it became clear, that CRO was DEN, and they lost the medal.

IMO they might have a case here.

What is the case here?

How could they know about the boat swap?

Could they disq the Danes? (I guess not)

Could they claim redress?

Court of Arbitration for Sport decision:
THE CASE HAS BEEN DISMISSED!
Jonas Warrer and Martin Ibsen of Denmark will keep their Gold Medal.

More

Are you interested in the Racing Rules of Sailing? Go to: http://rrsstudy.blogspot.com
Norbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 10:09am
TAS CAS
Tribunal Arbitral du Sport Court of Arbitration for Sport
PRESS RELEASE (12)
For further information related to the CAS activity and procedures in general, please contact Mr Matthieu
Reeb, CAS Secretary General. Park Plaza Wangfujing Hotel, 97 Jinbao Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing,
China. Tel: (86 10) 8522 1598; fax: (86 10) 8522 1910, or consult the CAS website: www.tas-cas.org
SAILING - SKIFF DINGHY 49ER
THE APPLICATIONS FILED BY THE NOCS OF ITALY AND SPAIN
DISMISSED BY THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT (CAS)
Beijing, 23 August 2008 – The ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has
today dismissed the applications filed by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) and the Spanish
Olympic Committee (COE) against two decisions of the International Jury of the International
Sailing Federation (ISAF) related to the gold medal race of the 49er event which took place on
17 August 2008.
A panel of CAS arbitrators composed of Dr Stephan Netzle, (Switzerland), President, Prof. Richard
McLaren (Canada) and Ms Margarita Echeverria (Costa Rica) heard the parties today between
9.00am and 2.00pm as well as the representatives of the Danish NOC, as interested party. After
having deliberated, the CAS arbitrators announced that both applications were dismissed and that
the decisions rendered by the ISAF International Jury concerning that event and dated 18 and 19
August 2008 were confirmed. The CAS decision with the grounds will be published on the CAS
website before the closing of the Olympic Games.
This procedure followed an incident which occurred before the gold medal race in the 49er class
event on 17 August 2008. Shortly before the start of the race, the Danish team (Warrer/Ibsen) was
sailing towards the start line when the mast of their boat broke. As a consequence, the Danish team
decided to use the boat of another team (Croatia) which had not qualified for the gold medal race.
The Danish team finished 7th in the gold medal race and was ranked first in the overall ranking of
this event. The Spanish team, which obtained the silver medal and the Italian team, which was
ranked fourth, as well as the Race Committee, filed various protests which were all rejected by the
ISAF International Jury. The two NOCs then requested the CAS to annul the ISAF International
Jury decisions, to declare that the Danish team was not entitled to take part in the gold medal race,
to disqualify the Danish team and to re-allocate the Olympic medals to the Spanish team (gold
medal), to the German team (silver medal) and to the Italian team (bronze medal).
RyanV49er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanV49er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 7:46pm
That's great news.  such a shame it had to be drawn out for so long though.
Visser49erracing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>