FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er medal race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Roy Race View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er medal race
    Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

<FONT face=Arial>

SI 21.2 Replacements Ashore: Requests for substitution
of damaged or lost equipment shall be made to the measurement
coordinator for consideration by the measurement committee. Permission
will be given only when the committee is satisfied that the item of
equipment is severely damaged, not deliberately mistreated, and cannot
be repaired satisfactorily. A request shall be made at the first reasonable
opportunity on a form available at the protest desk.

Make of that what you will!

Clear as mud! Surely there has now got to be a protest frenzy! I've simply
never heard of anyone borrowing a boat like this before.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:49am

Originally posted by Roy Race

Originally posted by JimC

I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than
the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last
gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal.

I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did.
Disappointing

I agree. I thought it was a bit silly and a poor advert for the sport. I hate to
say it, but GRF could be right. It didn't look stupidly windy, but the best 49er
sailors in the world couldn't get round the course. I bet a well sailed 420
would have won that race on the water.

Perhaps you are GRF?

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:50am
I'm not knocking what the danes did.. I think that's a fantastic effort to get back on the water and around the track when the Aussies, USA, brits, ITA we're all flipping

And if they'd picked up the Croatian stick and put it on their own boat then that would have been fine.. clearly time didn't allow that so they wen't with grab CRO boat and go sailing... I'm sure they won' t have had time to ask for dispensation..

As of 10:50 local they're scored as winning but I'm not convinced they'll survive the room...which is where I'm sure this will end up once the official results are posted.

tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:51am

SI 21.2 Replacements Ashore: Requests for substitution of damaged or lost equipment shall be made to the measurement coordinator for consideration by the measurement committee. Permission will be given only when the committee is satisfied that the item of equipment is severely damaged, not deliberately mistreated, and cannot be repaired satisfactorily. A request shall be made at the first reasonable opportunity on a form available at the protest desk.

Bring on the lawyers......can they replace an entire boat for a broken mast?  Is post the race the first reasonable opp given when the damage happened?

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
Roy Race View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

I dunno, I
reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than the damn drifters... The
number of medals that changed hands in the last gybe/bear away to the
line was phenomenal. I thought they would have looked better on the box
than they did. Disappointing
I agree. I thought it was a bit silly
and a poor advert for the sport. I hate to say it, but GRF could be right. It
didn't look stupidly windy, but the best 49er sailors in the world couldn't
get round the course. I bet a well sailed 420 would have won that race on
the water.

Perhaps you are GRF?

Riiiight.
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:55am
Originally posted by tack'ho

SI 21.2 Replacements Ashore: Requests for substitution of damaged or lost equipment shall be made to the measurement coordinator for consideration by the measurement committee. Permission will be given only when the committee is satisfied that the item of equipment is severely damaged, not deliberately mistreated, and cannot be repaired satisfactorily. A request shall be made at the first reasonable opportunity on a form available at the protest desk.

Bring on the lawyers......can they replace an entire boat for a broken mast?  Is post the race the first reasonable opp given when the damage happened?

Whilst I'm sure post race is the 1st resonable opp, I'm not sure that the jury will permit taking another boat for a broken mast.  Tough but it is the olympics.

What annoyed me was that Shirley/Richard didn't even mention that possibility...yes it was an impossible race to commentate on in terms of the overall results...but most sailors know that it's the BOAT that scores the points...not the people sailing it...although I guess in olympic sailing it's a bite more muddled as it's the athlete that gets selected to go...

We shall see how it develops...personally I think it will be along night in the room.

Edited by laser4000
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 11:04am
Well the Croatian equipment was all stamped and measured.
If you were the Danes, would you have taken the other boat and sorted it out after, or watched your gold medal fade away...
The sorting out will be the interesting bit.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
SimonW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SimonW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 11:19am
Quote from ISAF site:

After an incredible 49er Medal Race on a stormy Fushan Bay three protests will be heard by the International Jury which could have a major impact on the results.
Provisionally the Danish 49er team of Jonas WARRER and Martin IBSEN have won gold after finishing seventh in the race. However, they have been protested by the Measurement Team after breaking their mast before the race got underway, returning to the marina and then competing in the race using the Croatian boat.

If the Danes are disqualified Spain’s Iker MARTINEZ and Xabier FERNANDEZ, winners of the Medal Race, will have retained the title they won in Athens fours years ago.

Germany’s Jan-Peter PECKOLT and Hannes PECKOLT finished second in the Medal Race and are provisionally winners of the bronze medal. View details of the Protests as and when they happen in our Protests & Communications section here."

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 11:21am
Originally posted by SimonW

Quote from ISAF site:

After an incredible 49er Medal Race on a stormy Fushan Bay three protests will be heard by the International Jury which could have a major impact on the results.
Provisionally the Danish 49er team of Jonas WARRER and Martin IBSEN have won gold after finishing seventh in the race. However, they have been protested by the Measurement Team after breaking their mast before the race got underway, returning to the marina and then competing in the race using the Croatian boat.

If the Danes are disqualified Spain’s Iker MARTINEZ and Xabier FERNANDEZ, winners of the Medal Race, will have retained the title they won in Athens fours years ago.

Germany’s Jan-Peter PECKOLT and Hannes PECKOLT finished second in the Medal Race and are provisionally winners of the bronze medal. View details of the Protests as and when they happen in our Protests & Communications section here."

No Surprise there then - sorry Danes but for you the gold medal is over..
AdrianM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdrianM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than
the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last
gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal.

I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did.
Disappointing

I agree. I thought it was a bit silly and a poor advert for the sport. I hate to
say it, but GRF could be right. It didn't look stupidly windy, but the best 49er
sailors in the world couldn't get round the course. I bet a well sailed 420
would have won that race on the water.

I'm with Jim a bit on this one.  I would have expected the 49ers to look much more impressive but I think that in the main it was down to the a low standard of TV coverage - misty lenses, dropping coverage of a boat half through a hot drop about to head up around the mark, pictures so far away you couldn't really see the speed OR skill involved.  It was entertaining in so far as watching a demilitiuon derby is entertaining with the challenge faced by the Danes giving it excitement.  Also have to say that with each swim GRF's posts did spring to mind.  Perhaps he could be allowed back to take a brief bow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>