FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er medal race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er medal race
    Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:16am

Now this is drama and excitment.

My son was watching Bens efforts, understood how important it was but still went off to play with his lego.

He has been glued to the 49er race.  He's rooting for the Danes !

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:27am
took destruction derby to a whole new level.

I'd be surprise if the danes were allowed to keep their medal race score in a borrowed boat. I though sailing scoring is based on the boat.. does it change in olympic classes?
les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:33am

one of the best televised races I've ever seen !!

Well done to everyone who took part in that

Well done the Danes

49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:35am

Originally posted by laser4000

took destruction derby to a whole new level.

I'd be surprise if the danes were allowed to keep their medal race score in a borrowed boat. I though sailing scoring is based on the boat.. does it change in olympic classes?

It's an interesting one.  The sailors sailed and finished.  The boat was measured and passed.  Be the OOD is reading the NOR and SI's right now,,,,,

Will we see a protest frenzy whoever wins? 

Would be a bad thing for the media profile of sailing, this (so far) has been the most dramatic race (IMO made the finn race look very boring). 

Hope for this much wind for the rest of the week and some Tornado sailing on the TV.  IN SOME DECENT WIND!!!

Also noticed that there was on-board cameras, but we saw nothing much at all from them.  Bet there is more footage to come.....

Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:37am
That was amazing! It looks like the Danes have won in a borrowed boat! See the text updates here.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:37am
I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal.

I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did. Disappointing
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:40am

MMMMM....we will have to wait and see about the potential protest.

Hopefully the rest of the competitors will show the same level of sportsmanship that got the Danes onto the water to race.....we shall see!

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:45am

SI 21.2 Replacements Ashore: Requests for substitution of damaged or lost equipment shall be made to the measurement coordinator for consideration by the measurement committee. Permission will be given only when the committee is satisfied that the item of equipment is severely damaged, not deliberately mistreated, and cannot be repaired satisfactorily. A request shall be made at the first reasonable opportunity on a form available at the protest desk.

Make of that what you will!

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
Roy Race View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:47am
Originally posted by JimC

I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than
the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last
gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal.

I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did.
Disappointing

I agree. I thought it was a bit silly and a poor advert for the sport. I hate to
say it, but GRF could be right. It didn't look stupidly windy, but the best 49er
sailors in the world couldn't get round the course. I bet a well sailed 420
would have won that race on the water.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 08 at 10:48am

Originally posted by JimC

I dunno, I reckon that 49er race was more of a lottery than the damn drifters... The number of medals that changed hands in the last gybe/bear away to the line was phenomenal.

I thought they would have looked better on the box than they did. Disappointing

Jim, I greatly respect you, but this is just utter rubbish.  If we ever want sailing to be watched by non sailors, this is exactly what they will wat to see.  Fast boats in challenging conditions.

Will this race make the "general news" - maybe, will it be on the hilights tonight.

YES....

Perhaps we need two olympic regattas

1, Slow boring boats drifting around the course that will inspire no-one except some sailors

2, Fast exciting boats which make the general public go "Wow" that looks wild and challenging, I'd like to try that....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>