FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drysuits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
PhantomHelm View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PhantomHelm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drysuits
    Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 10:41am

Anyone want to comment on what makes a good drysuit?  Am considering Douglas Gill or a custom made Ravenspring one, but would value some opinions...especially on whether to get a front zip or rear zip?  What are the advantages or disadvantages of either?  Leg seals or built in socks?

Cheers

sailor girl View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 5:33pm
definatly built in socks, front zip and breathable! i have found that with rear zips your movement can be restricted. and what's the point in a drysuit with out built in socks!!!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
Lucy Lee View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 5:58pm

I think wetsuits are much, much better. Even in really cold weather. The simple reason is this: even a small tear in a wetsuit will make you so cold you can't continue racing. I've got a 5mm steamer which is fine in all weather (with a thin spray suit to stop windchill).

If you are going to get a wetsuit then proper feet are a must!

Fly Cherub!
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 6:13pm

I used to have  Trident drysuit - rear zip, not breathable, socks.  No problem with the rear zip - I could do it up my self and never found it caused any mobility problems. Kept ripping the socks on the tramp fixings on the cat though - always when I was climbing off fortunately!

Got a Magic Marine Thermo suit now - these are the neoprene ones with a horizontal zip across the front of the shoulders.  Much warmer than a conventional suit.  Gets pretty sweaty though! It has neoprene wrist and ankle seals which need to be layered with gloves/boots which have double cuffs - bit of a pain.  Still not completely waterproof though - but not enough to be a problem, even after a very extended capsize episode in the Forth in December! Don't think I'd buy another to be honest.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 8:46pm
I prefer wetsuits to dry, less clumsey.  But if you do have a dry suit it should have sock not seals.  Socks keep your feet dry (until the sweat trickles down) and if they are dry they are easier to keep warm.  Seals restrict the blod flow and make your feet even colder - no matter how many layers you have.
sailor.jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 05 at 8:53pm

if you want to get a dry suit, the best ones are with front zip. get built in socks but ware dinghy boots so not to rip then. breathable are much better. 

stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 05 at 10:40pm
I found that back zips have always been better as the dont restrict movement when you are doubled over in the boat as much, breathable is a must as is socks, I would recomend hammond dry suits expensive but very high quality and made to measure

Barty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 9:06am

The tri-laminate drysuits are best as any rip is usually in the sacrificial top layer.  Personnally I like something that feels substantial rather than single layer drysuits.  I agree with Lucy for single-handed sailing, wetsuits are best as you have the flexibility.  In the bigger boats front entry zips are fine.

I think its the same as anything......you get what you pay for.  If your gonna play in the winter it is worth investing in the right gear to stay warm.

Doctor Clifford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 11:35am
Sailing in Scotland end of March to late December.
Gave up on drysuits three years ago and havn't
looked back. A good wetsuit costs half as much,
lasts twice as long, and does as good a job in my
opinion.
Good gloves and good boots to keep the extremities
warm have a huge impact on your comfort and
warmth.

Wetsuits are more comfortable with harnesses, as
you are not trapping a huge waterproof zip on the
front and back with it.
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 05 at 12:46pm

Can't abide drysuits , I use a 3mm wetsuit from march to november for sailing  , never get cold , but as Doc cliff may point out I do carry a tad of personal insulation .I used to think running about in ribber suits a bit pervy , but drysuits are darn uncomfortable (as for neck seals !!!!!) , restrictive and zips a pain , the suit I currently have and only wear if really have to (sitting in a rib all day  watching nippers sailing ) has a front zipp and I still need a hand to get out as do others .

One tip in the boot dept , don't wear wet boots too tight !, my last pair 8mm were tight and bladdy freezin , bein a misely git had to wait till I wore them out ,then replaced em last nov with 4mm slightly looser , and feet toasty !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>