FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boring Tax thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
a3xloser View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boring Tax thread
    Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 10:27am
can someone explain in the most simple terms what ads that say ex tax or tax paid means to me as a uk buyer. thx

Edited by a3xloser
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 4:37pm

With an ex-demo car the VAT should be built into the retail price i.e. £11999 There will be no VAT on top to pay, but once you recieve the invoice you will notice the VAT has been stripped out

EG.

Basic price £10211.92

VAT £1787.08

Total price £11999

I think if the boat is being remarked to the public the price should be inclusive of vat although the seller should have to pay VAT out of the retail price.

But James is right if the VAT has been reclaimed then it will need to be paid at point of purchase (shown on the invoice)

Edited by Merlinboy
a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 8:43pm

anyway, sound like i need to find out the tax posion on each boat, thx guys

Ban G,R,F. i was wrong
les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 6:59am

The VAT you pay isn't at the new price,

it's at the price you are buying it for now

otherwise TT is right

49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 7:47am

Les is right, i thought i'd put that down but apparantly only in my example!

fishinthesea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fishinthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 9:37am
Hi, 

can anyone help please?

Probably this is a common question here, but I still unsure about our VAT status.

We bought a boat 7 years ago from an Austrian charter company. At that time the boat was registered and located in Croatia. Croatia was not member of the EU back then.

Some two years later I reregistered the boat in Slovakia (EU member) but the boat was still kept in Croatia (Outside EU).

Since then Croatia joined EU. 

I am now confused if I can leave Croatia and then come back without having to pay the VAT, which is quite a problem.

Thank you,

Daniel
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 18 at 2:42pm
There is a very nasty trap here. Let's say a boat is bought within the EU, VAT paid. It is then sold outside the EU paying local tax - if any. If it is then brought back into the EU permanently it becomes liable for VAT again.

There is no limit to the number of times VAT can be charged on the same boat.
One hull good, two hulls better.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 18 at 3:37pm
Not sure about this, it is many years since I worked in retail but the general principle is that VAT is charged on new goods and on the profit made by a VAT registered dealer selling used goods so that doesn't sound right, surely if EU VAT was paid on the boat when new that's it, it only becomes liable for another dose of VAT if sold by a VAT registered dealer (who will have either reclaimed the VAT when he purchased it or is liable for VAT on the profit made when he sells it. VAT would not be payable on a private sale in the same way you don't pay VAT on a used car if you buy from a non-VAT registered seller.

Like I said though it's been a while so I could be wrong.......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply