FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tack'ho View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts so far
    Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 8:10am

In that case Jim I suggest you dispatch those sailors to quing-doh forthwith!!

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
scullyman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scullyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 8:57am

I totally agree with the lottery point.  Without meaning to seem too biased or excessively patriotic (!), I fail to understand how Ben can drop from 1st to 10th on one downwind leg unless there's a serious issue with the wind given that he is unquestionably the fastest downwind sailor in the feet by some margin.

I was under the impression that for world championship events in a number of Olympic classes (49er?) there was a minimum level of wind required before races could be started - 8 knots?  Why isn't this the case here?

Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:09am

That rule was scraped for this Games only (6 knot min)

This is why the code zero has been brought out.  Previously the wind range for it would have been too narrow.  Now the range has been opened up due to the removal this rule

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:14am

Originally posted by scullyman

he is unquestionably the fastest downwind sailor in the feet by some margin.

Only if there is wind; that is the point the breeze is very flakey ...

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Contender 541

I have got to the stage where I would rather go home and mow the lawns than sail in 2 -3 kts

Just as golf is a good walk ruined, sailing in light winds is an irritation I can do without - especially at 16 stone

Agreed; that is why cycling is a good fit with sailing as cycling in no wind is the best conditions.

getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:47am
Glad to see we've wasted millions of lottery funding and sponsorship on our 'world-class swimming team' again.... why do we waste sooooo much cash on this lot every 4 years?

We do so much better in Rowing, Cycling, Sailing and Boxing, to name but a few 'first week' sports - why send such a large team when they fail to get into the finals and once there, only have a slim chance of a medal?

Just glad we have so much strength in depth in almost all Olympic sailing classes, means all our sailors have a chance of competing at the front end of each fleet and we're not just sending people to 'make up the numbers'.

A couple of million less to swimming and a couple of million more spread across the sports where we do excel wouldn't hurt with 2012 coming?

BTW - WELL DONE to the girls who got Gold & Bronze the other day in the swimming - it's not you guys I'm slating, it's the four-years-funding, out in the 1st round of heats types....

Edited by getafix
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
allanorton View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote allanorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 11:31am

Originally posted by getafix

Glad to see we've wasted millions of lottery funding and sponsorship on our 'world-class swimming team' again.... why do we waste sooooo much cash on this lot every 4 years?

We do so much better in Rowing, Cycling, Sailing and Boxing, to name but a few 'first week' sports - why send such a large team when they fail to get into the finals and once there, only have a slim chance of a medal?

Cos there are about 34 medal events in swimming and only about 8 in sailing?

tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 12:00pm
Which begs the question why the hell should the sailors give up medals?
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by tack'ho

Which begs the question why the hell should the sailors give up medals?

Because there are a lot more swimmers than sailors worldwide... The medal situation in swimming doesn't match IOC wishes very well: IOC doesn't like events where the same person can win loads of medals: but the participation is good and it would be difficult to have different Olympic events to every other swimming event I guess.

Looking at the race where Ben went down the tubes so badly the fleet was sailing with a lot of lateral separation but were all very close together as regards distance to the mark, so even a small advantage to one side or the other meant a big change in places. A similar shift in more wind would have had much the same result: but usually in those conditions the fleet is much more spread out, so you get less place change for the same difference in wind.

The unthinking mantra that people shout on viewing this situation on other forums tends to be shouts of "why didn't he cover", but in that situation its just not possible - too much separation in the fleet.

Edited by JimC
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 08 at 9:12pm

The wind is too light, it makes it chancy and not very good spectator sport.  It would be better to watch if the cameras weren't so far away - those long lenses distort the angles and so the tactics are opaque.  And let's face it when the wind is that light the only thing worth watching is the tactics.

Much as I was looking forward to it I can't now be bothered to get up early.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>