FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Help plz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
a3xloser View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Help plz
    Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 9:34am

hi

i went looking for my first yacht last week, being a non sailer i needed a boat near to where i wish to learn to sail, the brokers had nothing and later in the day i was show at a yacht club a Crystal 23 foor single keel boat 4 berth with outboard motor 3 sails and depth gage ,no head or much in the way of wireing, hull seems sound and boats in a fail condition,

Question is £3,200 a fair price for this boat, hard to say i know, i just now worried that maybe its worth a lot less?, i am not looking for best deal ever, just want a fair deal to start my yachting adventures, money not changed hands yet, or if you have links to any info on this boat,

Many thx

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 10:40am
I'd have thought you would do better to learn first, either on a course or crewing for other people, before buying.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 10:47am

not really looking for advice on taking up sailing, just info on this crystal 22 or 23 footer,

thx anyway

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 10:57am

I think its really irresponsible to be buying a boat when your a non-sailor.

I'd take the advice from Rupert and learn first.

Even if you decide to be taught in this boat, its not exactly the same as buying a Mini Metro and asking someone to teach you to drive!  Beside the safety implications, its a big cash outlay for something you haven't tried - I wouldn't make any hasty decisions.

a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 11:09am
i think i try a new thread, seems to me forums are a waist of time, all you ever seem to get is people with opinions and no information
Roy Race View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roy Race Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 11:50am
Originally posted by a3xloser

Question is £3,200 a fair price for this boat, hard to say i know, i just now worried that maybe its worth a lot less?, i am not looking for best deal ever, just want a fair deal to start my yachting adventures, money not changed hands yet, or if you have links to any info on this boat,

Many thx

Sounds like a bargain. They're great boats, worth much more than that. Go for it.

Edited by Roy Race
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 12:07pm

i think i try a new thread, seems to me forums are a waist of time, all you ever seem to get is people with opinions and no information

You're not going to get much help with that sort of attitude. Why should anyone offer assistance to some one acting like a spoilt child* when all that's been offered is friendly advice? By the sound of it you've had a similar reponse elsewhere.

*And writing like a child too. Unless you're having to type quick because someone will kill you if you don't get the information you're after, try spelling and structuring your posts so that they're more readable. People will take you more seriously.

Noble Marine View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 12:30pm
You don't say how old the boat is.  As you are new to sailing it may be worth asking a Marine Surveyor to give the boat a survey prior to parting with your money, to make sure that the boat is as sound as you think it is.  The Surveyor will be able to give you his opinion as to whether the boat is a good buy or not.

Dependant on the age of the boat, a valid survey may also be a requirement before buying insurance.

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 3:13pm

I thought forums were all about opinions.  Just because I don't post the information that you require, doesn't mean you should get the hump!  Its a lot of cash to shell out and you want to make an informed choice.

I actually believe that its in your best interest to go and get some lessons first.  Firstly, because it will ensure that you actually enjoy this new pursuit of yours and secondly because it will ensure that you, your firends and family and other people around you enjoy your new hobby without risk of accident.

Also, a few lessons could lead you towards another type of boat altogether, one that is suitable for your specific needs e.g a bilge keeler would suit pottering around the river /estuaries etc if thats the type of sailing you will be doing.

Or maybe you're the type of person who doesn't need advice and will navigate with an AA road map and call the old comfort blanket of the RNLI on your nearly out of signal mobile phone!  Good luck.

Bring on maritime licences!

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 08 at 4:00pm
Why dont you get the boat surveyed??  Might be worth getting an experts advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>