FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Help plz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Noble Marine View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Help plz
    Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 9:56am
I'm not sure that there can have been many of these boats built, and if there were, then few of them have survived.  Like turnturtle, curiosity got the better of me and so I've been looking in all of the usual places for more information about this class. Other than the photo and advert of the Crystal 22 posted by TT, I have been unable to find anything else to compare it to.

It's difficult, if not impossible, for members of this forum to form a worthwhile opinion on the boat's value without seeing it and being able to compare it to similar boats for sale. A surveyor would be best placed to provide this advice, hence one of the reasons for my original post.

IMO it does sound like a lot of money for a 30-40 year old boat, with no electrics, head or gas.  Even if you only intend to use it as a "floating caravan" I'm sure you could do better and get a boat with more in the way of facilities.

There are a large number of (possibly much newer) boats for sale, of this size and in this price range. As has already been suggested, spend some time looking at other yachts in this price range, and you'll soon discover whether this Crystal is right for you and whether it represents good value.
Black no sugar View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 10:08am

You're quite unlikely to get a YES / NO answer here, a3xloser, and in a way it's not a bad thing.

It's a bit of a responsibility to judge of the state of a boat and its value from the description you gave here. I'm not having a go at your prose, but you admitted yourself you are a newcomer to sailing matters. 
I wouldn't like to be the one who tells you "Yeah, go for it!" and you do, and you end up spending thousands in repairs or worse. Alternatively, if you don't buy this boat, you might miss the bargain of the century.

All that members are prepared to give here is advice, perhaps not always tactfully worded, and opinions. What else do you expect from people who don't know you, who you don't know and have never seen the boat in question?

I don't know anything about boats, let alone yachts but if I wanted to buy one, I would seek the advice of an independent surveyor, even if it costs a few pennies.

However, the final decision has got to be yours.

Good luck and happy shopping!

a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 10:39am

thx yes some good has come of all this, i will not buy a boat with out a survay,and i am glad i asked about this, so many good points have been put to me,i have completely give up the idea of buying on trust or hoping for the best

was hoping i would be able to find out more about this type of boat but its seems not well known, i do know they changed the name of it and belive there are many about, but resurch has come up with little

may open the question up what boat from 1 to 5k is good idea for noob wishing firstly to have decent living area, 4 berth easy to sail single handed(when fully trained to do so)not looking to sail as a sport,looking for weekend retreat that i can sail some distance in(uk coastal that is)

and i am not worried about things being tactfull put, so long as they have something to do with the question, yes traing is a good idea, so is not filling you pockets up with lead bars while sailing, but its nothing to do with what i am trying to find out

dics View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 10:48am

A3Xloser.

If you can afford to stretch why not go for one of the best small time cruisers - a Contessa 26. These are more expensive but I should think you would be able to haggle pretty well and get a decent one for £6-£7K. After sailing one of these you will only want to upgrade to a bigger Contessa and nothing else. check out http://www.contessa26.net

It's just another option.

Also A few years back I picked up a copy of Pratical Boat Owner (PBO). They had several off shore crusiers for under £5K. Some were very imprssive. May be worth trying to get a back issue.

Also check out boatshed.com for an idea of second hand boats in your price and LOA range.

Have a look at http://www.sigma33.com/english/documents/maintenance/Upkeep. htm

Although this is for a totally different boat it is very general and is a good check list for general maintenance for any small crusier. It will also give you an idea of what to look for when looking at boats.

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 11:20am

I'd suggest a bilge keeler for anyone that wants a floating caravan.  I think they are ideal for cruising comfort and pottering around rivers and estuaries. 

Ok- you may loose some upwind performance and pointing ability, but the head room and space is generally much better and that could be more important when you are crammed in with mates or family.

Edit for other thoughts:

You can also stick it on the mud and dry out which has its advantages in some areas and mooring can be cheaper for these types of boats.

Edited by ASok
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 11:27am

French boats have a certain beauty that some british designs like the Sigma lack.  Although the sigma is a real workhorse and relaiable.  You still feel safe even when its rolling on its fat belly downwind in a blow.

However, both have horrible toe rails that really hurt when hiking out!

dics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by a3xloser

may open the question up what boat from 1 to 5k is good idea for noob wishing firstly to have decent living area, 4 berth easy to sail single handed(when fully trained to do so)not looking to sail as a sport,looking for weekend retreat that i can sail some distance in(uk coastal that is)

a3xloser (AKA noob (what ever that is!)) The name Hurley leaps outs. Check out

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?& units=Meters&currency=GBP&ro=9&r=1792371&rs= yachtworld.com&rt=Daysailer/Weekender&boat_id=179237 1&checked_boats=1792371&enid=0&cit=true&ftid =0&cint=295&Ntk=boatsUK&type=%28Sail%29&sear chtype=advancedsearch&hmid=0&sm=3&currencyid=100 5&luom=127&boatsAddedSelected=-1&Ntt=hurley& slim=quick

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 5:01pm
Dam that thing is ugly! !
a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 08 at 7:42pm

cool loads of god stuff to look into and think about there, will have to keep it under 30 feet thogh guys or i no be able to enter the Jester challenge(only after some training, before you all start)

als the get GRF back compain is in the banter section of the forum, so if you think the man should be alowed to speak then lend him your surport

a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 08 at 9:55am

ok seems like this ones dead now,many thx for all the advice i have learned loads, and now will look at more boats before making decision and will have a survey done before buying

keep up the good work and happy sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345