FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Help plz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Ross View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Help plz
    Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Merlinboy

HIghlighted in red [There is no verb in this sentence.]! People on this forum appreciate good Grammar and spelling!!

Your errors are highlighted in magenta. If people on this forum really do appreciate correct grammar and spelling, they must be very patient people to continue reading. I've essentially given up (this is a v rare visit) because the signal to noise ratio is so poor, as loserx3 has discovered.

I know more than one person who has bought an old boat for a low price, thought that a survey would not be worth it and ended up regretting it. I truly endorse the idea of a survey, even one which consumes a large fraction of the purchase price. One of the people who was bitten by this bug got a survey the next time (for 20% of the asking price) and walked away a happy man! He didn't buy the boat, and said that suddenly the survey seemed really cheap compared to the world of pain it helped him avoid. A local surveyor may know the boat and some circumstances surrounding the sale etc. I know a v good surveyor in Cornwall who will travel (I flew him to Portugal on one occasion), but you are probably better off with a local person.

[This post is really from Atum Bom. Ross seems to have left himself logged on at my house when he was round here building The Antidote To Panel Games]
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Noble Marine View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 8:40am
Originally posted by a3xloser

a survey at £400 seems a big chunck out of £3,200

£400 is a big chunk of the cost, but it may highlight a problem that you had not seen which could enable you to renegotiate on price, thereby reducing the total cost.  Alternatively, it may unearth a problem which could end up costing you an even larger sum of money in the future.

Either way, if you have a survey, you'll sleep easier at night knowing that any decision you make is based on expert advice not solely on the potentially biased view of the seller, and your own limited knowledge.

Have you shopped around on the cost of the survey?  It does seem high for a boat of this size. There's a list of Marine Surveyors on Noble Marine's Website which might help your search.

Jon
a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 11:39am

first i must say sorry about the spelling, i am dislexic and doing well if you can follow what i say, as for grammor i am from wolverhampton, i cor elp the grammor cos we dow ave it back ome,

starting to think i need to look into the boat more,theres too many of you saying the same thing, i was working on if you buy a second hand car for £3k you would not have a survay yet a boat of the same price you all seem to say get one.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 11:49am

first i must say sorry about the spelling, i am dislexic and doing well if you can follow what i say, as for grammor i am from wolverhampton, i cor elp the grammor cos we dow ave it back ome,

starting to think i need to look into the boat more,theres too many of you saying the same thing, i was working on if you buy a second hand car for £3k you would not have a survay yet a boat of the same price you all seem to say get one.

It is all about knowledge. Most people can look round a car and make a reasonable judgement as to the condition of it. Its suitability for what they want and then get get it HPi'd (or whatever it is these days) and know they have something reasonable.

When it comes to boats there is no such system plus you cannot tell by looking at a boat as the the coniditon of the structure. With a car you see rust. Generally a poorly maintained car will break down and leave you stranded on a road somewhere where you need to walk a bit to get to a phone to call for help. If you boat breaks (or worse starts to sink) you are pretty screwed.

Were it me planning on spending that money on a yacht I would get a survey, purely for peace of mind plus with it being an older boat many insurance companies insist on having a recent survey.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
dics View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 12:05pm

i was working on if you buy a second hand car for £3k you would not have a survay yet a boat of the same price you all seem to say get one.

With a car you are compelled to keep it to a minium saftey standard - the MOT. With a private pleasure boat there is not legal obligation to maintain a boat to any minium standard. Therefore, as well as from a point of few of providing a financial protection, it will also tell you whether the boat is OK to put in the water to start with.

With regard to the boat think about where you want/most likely be sailing. For example, the boat might be at home on the rivers and small coastal legs, but if you want to aspire cross channel hops and English channel crusing then you might want to condsider another alternative.

For this type of boat I would not worry too much about the electrics since a simple system would be cheap enough to put in, or you can always use hand held portable GPS systems.

If you are not looking a for a bilge keel boat then have you considered a Sonata? These are very good robust little boats, great for cruisng and great for racing. probabaly a little more expensive but if you get one that has a basic fitout then probably not too much more.

If I was you (I offer my opinion at the risk of a fierce back lash ) I would look at simlier alternatives too as well as different years of the make you are currently looking at. The more you look the better the feel you will have when you see the one you want.

Lastly enjoy it. Take your time and enjoy buying a boat. It is not something you do every day and so take the time to look around, talk to people and enjoy the whole experience. I think then you will end up being a lot happier with your final decision.

a3xloser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 12:59pm

the mot points very good, that is sort of a car survay isn't it,

god i am so unsure what to do now, wolverhamptons not a great place to take up sailing,

am now 10% risk it with no survay, 40% get survay on this boat, 30% look at more boats. 20% try to find a way to go sailing with someone while saving more money up then buy ( as the seller work in the yacht club,if i pull out now i guess i not get invite "

but you have done well, very unlikly to buy a boat with out a servay, so thx for the advice guys,

just 1 thing i noticed how come the guys who where abusive at the start of the tread seemed to back off when GRF joined in?

Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 1:16pm

Abusive? - Not in my humble opinion

Constructive? - Yes

Someone starting off on the wrong foot and not wanting to hear the advise of others if it did not conform to preconceived ideas..............

Is that abusive??????/

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 1:29pm
Definitely look at other boats, even if you end up buying the first one.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
dics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 1:47pm

god i am so unsure what to do now, wolverhamptons not a great place to take up sailing,

Having done a quick serach there seems to be some inland clubs near you. 

Perhaps have a look at dinghy sailing first since dinghies are more repsonsive than cruisers. It a can be a little difficult when starting out to understand what happens when you pull a certain bit of string especially if the boat does not repsond straight away. If you sail a dinghy even at a very basic level just one or two years before going into a keel boat you will have learned how the control lines affect the sailing of a boat - even if it does not respond straight away. And some dinghies at like mini keel boats - take the wayfarer. A good race rigged wayfarer will have all the same rigging as a 30 footer (and enough time in the tacks for a brew!). And for starting out jumping into club racing with an experienced helm in such a boat is a pretty good way to go.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 08 at 3:26pm
There's also some inland clubs that have keelboat sections.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>