FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

well done Ellen!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Wave Rider View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: well done Ellen!!!!
    Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 5:01pm
That program on ITV did show suprisingly good footage didnt it.
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 3:29pm

well done ellen, a great performance, you really captivated the whole country and most of the europe! A magnificent achivement and puts all our bad sailing techniques to shame, (must practice harder).

wish you good luck for all your other sailing challenges

Needs to sail more...
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by Rupert

I wonder if the French coverage assumed greater knowledge?

Yep, the French coverage was almost as extensive as it was over here. Most TV channels and publications accurately retraced Ellen's career, with a strong emphasis on the fact she went over to live in France! Without begrudging any praise to Ellen, a couple of papers did mention that Francis Joyon's boat wasn't particularly designed to beat a record (got to put a little national pride into it )

If you'd like to refresh your French, drop me a line - I'll be happy to help!!      

Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 2:46pm

received by B&Q customer services: 

Dear Sir/Madam 

My congratulations to you on getting a yacht to leave the UK on 28th
November 2004, sail 27,354 miles around the world and arrive back 72 days
later. 

Could you please let me know when the kitchen I ordered 96 days ago will be
arriving from your warehouse 13 miles away?

carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 12:48pm

yer the tv coverage was the best i have every seen on itv!!

what do you reckon she will do next? 

well done...

International 14 1503
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 12:17pm
And there was a much better programme on last night, going through the voyage and interviewing Ellen, so not all bad. I wonder if the French coverage assumed greater knowledge?
Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 05 at 10:18am
it´s a good opportunity to show you men the truth!

ruppert i think you can be happy with that tv coverage. in germany the coverage was disappointing. it wasn´t ellen macarthur who sailed around the globe with her trimaran, it was hellen mcathur. i just could see short sequences on bbc world and just some pics you can find on yachts and yachting website. and by the way i´ll never understand the rules bowls!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 05 at 6:07pm

While the coverage has been extensive, the news must have been cursing that she finished at night. A black screen with a couple of dots hardly makes fascinating viewing, does it? As for the majority of the reporting, it was banal in the extreme, and just kept on repeating itself. I can see why bowls and snooker are on telly more than sailing, now! Coverage the next day on the BBC wasn't much better. People endlessly repeating themselves while Ellen slowly sailed in. Hardly did justice to her achievement, and will we actually see a rise in participation from all this - it doesn't bear much relation to pootling around the lake on a sunday morning!

Ellen's sucess has been amazing, it is just a shame that the massive coverage hasn't been a little more intellegent.

Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 05 at 5:00pm

ok your now trying to turn Ellens success into a sexist crusade!

Spot192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Spot192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 05 at 4:16pm
so i´ve got a new much better rule: WOMEN ARE THE BEST; NOT ONLY IN SAILING AROUND THE WORLD and the best proof now is ellen and many other women!!!     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>