FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VHF Radios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VHF Radios
    Posted: 26 Jun 08 at 4:09pm

Can anyone recommend a good waterproof handheld vhf radio please? We have tried a couple of makes but after about a year they don't seem able to last an entire day on a single charge.

tmoore View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 08 at 4:50pm
i think we use an i'com one at school. once we dropped one overboard and the next day picked it up from the beech and it still worked. so definately waterproof. how long they last, i dont know as we only sail in the afternoons. i would have thought mose would last a day unless in constant use etc.
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 08 at 5:44pm
The Entel 640 I think is the one we have at the SC, we trialled one from another member who had the hand mic, this was a great bit of kit but did have an issue with salt building up, so remember to wash them even if they didnt get submerged.

They arent cheap but have batteries that last for ages.

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 08 at 10:33pm

Dont you need a license to operate a VHF? Get UHF's and you don't!

Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 08 at 10:20am

Yep, doesn't bother me as I have one!

English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 08 at 10:41am
We use Icom's as well. No batteries last for ever so we just have a rolling program of replacing a couple of the radios every year (we have 8). As the radios themselves take a fair battering it isn't cost effective to just replace the batteries.

Ross, UHF's are fine for inland work and personal comms. But if you are coastal your rescue boat needs to be able to coordinate with local shipping, the coastguard, harbourmaster, marina and lifeboat if need be. So you need VHF. (VHF also has better range for the same power - it's a laws of physics thing).
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 4:05pm

Dave you are right I think a rolling replacement program is the way to go. We have used Icoms and were happy with them but found them a bit expensive.

We have to use VHF as we have four other sailing clubs in the harbour and we need to talk to each other to keep our courses separate if we are racing on the same day. We also talk to the Coastguard, pilots, lifeboat etc.

You do need a VHF license.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Post Reply Post Reply