FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

13ft skiffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13ft skiffs
    Posted: 03 Feb 05 at 5:44pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had sailed a 13ft skiff before, I know they are sailed in Australia but I'm thinking about getting one imported, does anyone know if they are any good. Or am I just as well off getting a cherub?

Thanks

Tom

Needs to sail more...
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 05 at 6:02pm
Importing a 13footer when there are Cherubs here - don't be daft, you'll miss all the rest that goes with sailing.
LocoP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LocoP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 05 at 6:11pm

Hi Tom

I havent sailed a 13 foot skiff but have sailed a cherub! I'd get one of them.

As far as I can work out the 13' is designed to be the feeder class into the Aussie 16' skiff and looks like an okay boat. At least with a cherub, a growing class in this Country, you will get the opportunity off class racing at open meetings and the nationals. As you probably know, its not the biggest class in the world but its quality not quantity that counts .

As for importing boats from Aus, i would have thought that it aint going to be cheap to get one boat over here.   

Get your heart racing
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 05 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

I was wondering if anyone had sailed a 13ft skiff before, I know they are sailed in Australia but I'm thinking about getting one imported, does anyone know if they are any good.

Always difficult to understand other people's sailing politics from 16,000 miles away, but the 13ft skiff looks an awful lot like a 29er for people who don't like the Bethwaites. Chris, if you're watching do you know any Sydney folks who know more about that?

Edited by JimC
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 6:37am
Yep, the 13 was designed very much as a feeder for 16s. The 16' skiff clubs (which often have loads of money and provide interest-free loans for boat purchase, nominal membership and undercover boat storage, something like $150+ for starting each race IIRC and maybe $300+ for a scratch of handicap club heat win) wanted a "pet" feeder class as they couldn't control the existing feeders (Cherubs etc). They also felt they weren't getting enough of the feeder crews into 16s.

The skiff movement also doesn't like SMODS but they like ODs (nowadays). The boat looks really nice and is from all accounts quicker than a 29er as well as looking easier to sail. It has U shaped hull sections, more like a 16' skiff or typical modern design than the Bethwaite Vee shaped sections.

The U sections and higher volume seem to make the boat more stable, and more buoyant and give it more dynamic lift. In a medium-speed boat they are the normal choice. Compared to a Cherub they have more length and easier lines.

Will it happen as a big class? Unlikely, I'd have thought. The biggest skiff club has 30 or so active Cherubs, the 3rd biggest (or so) has about a dozen. So even inside the skiff movement, the 13 is pushing it. Pity. It looks to me better than a 29er (but I haven't sailed one or  quizzed those who have).

Edited by Chris 249
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 12:12pm

Thanks for your help guys, I must try and find a cherub to have a test sail in now! I have seen them sailng and taken photographs of them and they look great.Jim, is there anyone in the south west who does test sails in a cherub.

Thanks

Tom

Needs to sail more...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

Jim, is there anyone in the south west who does test sails in a cherub.

Very doable I would have thought. Weymouth and Plymouth are regular venues for us. Hit the Message form on the website and contact the webmaster and he'll see what can be set up.

Post Reply Post Reply