FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

starting signals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting signals
    Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by catmandoo

They could have appealed to RYA but that would have been taking it too far.

Oh I don't know. They might have found the process quite educational. 

catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 3:30pm

Very true , but a lengthy process , bin there and done it myself before , took 4 months ! from race to favourable (and correct) out come , as it had gone into another year , I settled for moral victory .Wouldn't bother again  unless particularily wound up , I know it does sport no good though .

Praps someone should start another thread (as we are losing it ) addressing the affects of not protesting and not seeking redress to relevant authorities and it's impact on our sport as a whole, the way I see it the less folk follow protests/redress situations the more chaotic racing gets .

Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 3:59pm

Couldn't agree more, I've almost protested during club races due to blatent rule flouting but decided not due to peer pressure. In fact I decided I had to protest on one occasion because my boat was damaged during the incident (£500+ repair) and the other party was denying responsibility.

Maybe there should be a streamlined process for more informal situations like club racing though. It took several days to get a hearing organised and most people were beginning to forget what happened.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Doctor Clifford View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 4:02pm
I think the protest process is something that club
sailors should get used to at their clubs.
Nobody likes club racing being settled with protests,
particularly as it is generally very friendly, and all
(including protest committee) want to get to the bar,
but the more you do it, the less intimidating it is, and
great practice for competitors and committees alike,
away from major championships where it is more
onorous.
Perhaps clubs should try a few test cases on past
incidents so that results aren't affected as everyone
gets used to it.
The results of protests help to tune both competitors
and race officers to the rules, and in the long run
improve the whole experience and raises the game
of the club sailor.
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 4:26pm
Problem with protests is they are too hit and miss unless you have independent, cogent and articulate witnesses. I think BCYC is trying an informal process this year will know more when I see the sailing instructions.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 4:34pm

At Redesmere we have a kind of informal chat with the sailors, deciding what a protest commitee would find etc., and allowing the protestor to pursue if they want to, but most people retire/ leave it.

regarding the topper incident: i have been in five topper protests, and allhave benn well managed by the club/ ITCA (including a redress at plym yc) bar one, which was an absolute shambles!

Want to name and Shame the Club Catmandid?

Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 05 at 8:27pm

The RS assoc was discussing something like a mediation system, where you would get advice as to the likely outcome of a formal protest from v.experienced sailors before going ahead. The object being 1.to encourage competitors to enforce the rules, 2. to ensure the guilty party understood what they'd done wrong 3. to avoid lengthy protest meetings when everyone really wanted to be in the bar. Those involved would have the option of accepting the advisors descision or going ahead with the formal protest.

The perception being that people often don't protest 'cos they can't be bothered with it all. Don't know how far they got- I think it stalled for lack of suitable or willing mediators. Anyone know?

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 05 at 1:49am

Three minuite justice.

One min for each side of the argument to put their case and one min for a decision to be made.  Decision is final and its all done in the time it takes to order the round for everyone, simple!

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 05 at 7:54am

Originally posted by Rob.e

to avoid lengthy protest meetings when everyone really wanted to be in the bar.

Are they really so lengthy? I've been involved with a few and none took longer than 20 minutes. What does take time is getting a committee together and none of the alternatives suggested avoid that.

*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 05 at 7:12pm

At our club we've got a lot of "new" racers doing our Monday dinghy series.  There's a lot of poor rules observance - usually by people who've been sailing a long time but who don't race much and really don't know the rules.  We've only ever had one protest - and there was never a hearing .

We'd actually like a protest.  If we get one, we've thought about trying to hold it "in public" (as long as protestor/ee are happy) just as a way of showing people how a protest hearing actually works.  Most people have no idea what goes on until they end up at one - whether as one of the protagonists, a witness or a committee member.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>