FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Give a boat a bad name...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Give a boat a bad name...
    Posted: 20 Apr 04 at 2:36pm

A new PINK 470???

How about 'tickled' as in tickled pink.  would allow for Mr. Men graphics which always look cool!

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 10:56am
Going back a long way (early 70s IIRC) a bloke here had a Minisail Sprint (the Sprint being the version with the sliding seat, for budding afficionados) which he called 'Waning planker'.  Subsequently he designed and built (or maybe that should just be "built and made up as he went along") an Int. Moth which was painted brown and named "Shying Flight".  Not that there was much chance of it ever flying, it's the only boat I've ever seen with (substantial) inverse rocker!
Haggis View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 12:38pm

Or the old faithful:

'Fuzzy Duck'

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 12:51pm

The Name of the Nuclear power plant managers boat in the Simpsons is 'Gone Fisson'

My last few boats have had a theme running thru the name, first was

Absence of Reason (or also known as lets go {censored} sailing)

Then

Reasonable absence

and I am still trying to devide between these two for my Inter 17 after 2 years....

'Reasonably Complicated' or 'Monkey Buiness' as there is plenty to do on the 17 with a Kite on your own.....  

Edited by Scooby_simon
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Gael View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 2:26pm
Two years without a name.. how mean!

I know of at leat two 'Monkey Business's - a Mumm 30 on the Solent
and a Beneteau First 305 on the Clyde, haven't seen a dinghy or cat
with the name though - maybe you could form a 'Monkey Business'
owners association!
Caswell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Caswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 2:32pm
There used to be a white fireball ( I think ) called 'White Mucking Fuddle'. Try saying that after a couple of beers!
anonsteve1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote anonsteve1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 8:16pm
I saw a rowing boat recently called "Jamal the Warlord Ferret".

SG
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 04 at 10:13pm

Originally posted by Caswell

There used to be a white fireball ( I think ) called 'White Mucking Fuddle'. Try saying that after a couple of beers!

There were a whole line of them at Grafham for a while, just when the Glass FB's were being made fior the first time...

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
sjm. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjm. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 04 at 5:13pm

Hmmmm. the Oxford dictionary states for pink, as in "in the".. Point of perfection, excellence...... from the initials of which you could spell POPE,  or you could take the name of the current one, John paul the second, or JP2. Just a though, wont appeal to many.

Now if ya wanna be rude, and as I dont know you at all, not sure how this'll be received, but pink boats remind me of condoms ( maybe thats just my sick mind) so you could call it Melolontha melolontha which is the latin name for the Cockchafer beetle......... 

regards

Si

ps, the reason changing a name was considered unlucky, or at least a reason, was that the name was carved into the front of the mast.. to change the name meant cutting the old wood out and carving in the new name.. do that too many times and the mast goes by the board....

Edited by sjm.
Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"
Neil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 04 at 9:17pm

Wow,

theres some strange folk out there!

Didn't know that about re-naming a boat.. interesting....another couple of nautical derived every day terms...

'a square meal' - from the square plates used on old square riggers to fit into the small space, and to stop them falling off the tables

'between the devil and the deep blue sea' - the plank on the outside of cannon floor on an old war galleon is called the devil plank, and this expression refers to being crushed against the devil plank by a rolling cannon broken loose... hence the negative connotations!

Rgds

Neil

RS700
GBR821
_/) _/)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>