FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to wear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Wave Rider View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to wear?
    Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:09pm

Hi there,

I sail a topper and fireball and at the moment and was wonderig what sort of thing i should be wearing ???

At the moment i just wear a wetsuit iwth a mack on top and its kinda cold so its there anything i could put on top??

Thanks

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
sailor.jon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:15pm

i wear my dry suit, ( which took ages to save 4)
but when its warm i wear a 3mm shorty,

maybe you shud wear splash proof trouses aswell, keep the wind off your legs, but they are a pain when ur hiking after a few times of sliding in and out they end up round ur ankels lol

Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:47pm

you need hikers for a topper waverider, and in summer you can jst wear them as a shorty with hikking pads.

To keep warm i either wear my drysuit, or wetsuit, hikers, spraytop, lots of thermals and rashvests, thick hat. And keep moving!

sailor.jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor.jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 8:49pm
yeh thats probley best advice, keep moving! stay out of the water, i know its so tempting to dive head first into that freezing cold nuclear waste infected lake but u must resist,

Edited by sailor.jon
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:06pm
Rooster Aquafleece is the best thing I ever bought! Buy online @ www.roostersailing.com they do good hikers too, and have a fully layered system with a "Race skin" to go under. Sorry for sounding like an advert, but I've sailed a long time, and it is good stuff. (BTW I have no connection with them!)
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:11pm

If you haven't got much money for all the flash gear (I haven't) I suggest wearing a thermal vest or a wollen sweater under your wetsuit.  Do not wear a tee shirt. It has to be a material which stays warm when wet - cotton does not.

Similarly don't wear cotton socks, wool or thermal material is best but you can get away with acrylan or most of the artificial fibres.  I can't stress this enough, cotton is OK when dry, but worst than nothing when wet.

Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:48pm
Shorts and "T" shirt, it you are too cold................... Head for the bar !!!!
squeek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote squeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 05 at 8:54pm
rooster blindstich wet sox keep ur feet warm!! wear dm under normall wet boots n they cost me a fiver! my feet used 2 go white with cold bt not any more!!
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 05 at 9:32pm
ideally get yourself soem 3/4 length hiking shorts, you may doubt the idea at first, i did, but since i bought my first pair ive never used anyhting else, evn in winter, all you need to change (i find) between seasons, is what you wear ontop, in winter i have around 3 rash vests and a thermal layer all under a breathable smock and then a bouyancy aid, in summer either just one uv prtectice rash vert and a bouyancy aid, or just a bouyancy aid and some spf 44+ sun cream, bear in mind that the hikers are kind of dungaree style where they cover some of your torso aswell. well worth it and you can pick up a pair for as little as 60, id recomend as a good basic pair the bottom of the range magic marine ones.
Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:59am
When I sailed a fireball battern hiking pants were not allowed but they are a good idea for the Topper. To help you keep warm wear something decent on your head, you will be surprised the difference it makes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>