FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to wear?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Wave Rider View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 5:48pm

Ok thanks

I am thinking of getting a Gul spray suit as they look like they would do he job..................Is there any reason why i shouldnt?

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
ssailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:22pm
On my laser I usually wear my drysui with a set of hikers, however when not in drysuit a set of 3/4 length hikers are perfect combined with t shirt, rash vest, rosster aquafleece and sometimes a gul spray top.

The aquafleeces are really good, the only time you can feel the cold is when you fall in and are completely submerged, this is due to water entering from wetsuit etc, spray and wind dont usually have an effect with one on!
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 4:53pm

Ok thanks,

#

what i was really wondering was :

Is a breathable spray suit over a 3mm wetsuit going to make a good, warm combination or not and what is the down side to spray suits (all in one)???

-[Franko]-
           RS600 933
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:20pm
em they look like a poor mans dry suit and people always asume they are so they say u can go in the water from safety boats etc!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:39pm
Lol yeah thats wat i need ! emphasis on poor mans
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 6:49pm
It'll keep the windchill off your legs in a way that a spray top obviously won't and it'll keep spray off which might stop you cooling down as much - but it isn't going to add much in the way of warmth. Particularly if you have a swim...
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 7:29pm
I find a spray suit sticks to the wetsuit around the knees and restricts flexibility.  Personally I'd wear a set of thermals under the wetsuit (cheaper and warmer especially when swimming) and spend the balance on sray top.  Incidentally a breathable spray top is so much better than a non-breathable.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 4:55pm

Ok but as i dont have that much to spend id rather get an all in one kinda thing i think??

Also if you wade in to launch the boat ill it keep the water out briefly or will it all come straight up my legs??

-[Franko]-
           RS600 933
sjm. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjm. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Wave Rider

Also if you wade in to launch the boat ill it keep the water out briefly or will it all come straight up my legs??

Come straight up I think, most only have adjustable ankles not water tight ones... water comes straight in the wrist seals of spray tops and these are a better seal than ankle seals any day. I think you'd find a separate top and trousers more versatile.

regarding buoyancy aids, can anyone answer if they should be worn outside or inside a dry suit? Does wearing one inside make a difference to your buoyancy or have no effect?

Ta.

Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"
moomin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moomin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 05 at 11:00am

Bouyancy aids go outside drysuit. Inside will add air and make it difficult to expell meaning you may float wrony way up with air trapped inside the dry suit.

Bouyancy aids or trapeze harnesses make good things to get hold of if a rescue boat crew needs to drag you out of the drink, the outside of a dry suit is slippery and may well tear if pulled on, and believe me if a safety bost crew is dragging you out of the drink they are not normally overly concerned if they rip your suit

Moomin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>