FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The oldest boat on the forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The oldest boat on the forum?
    Posted: 11 Jun 20 at 8:54am
I bought a cheap 420. It was in reasonable nick so I went ahead. It wasn't until I started doing some research that I began to realise just how old it is. The sail number (14977) puts its build date around 1970. I had no idea the class had been going that long. 

There were a few clues along the way - the main sheet has a traveller, clearly there since the boat was new, but class rules don't allow them.  It has a second mast step and shroud plates to allow a una rig, something not mentioned in any of the literature. Plus an all-wood rudder and tiller is not something seen for many years.
One hull good, two hulls better.
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 20 at 9:32am
A 1960 design, if memory serves.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 20 at 10:26am
Do you use trapeze when Una rigged?
Robert
aitchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 20 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by patj

Our new boat is Merlin number 40 built in 1946. At least she's older than either crew though we'd be serious contenders for the "highest combined age of helm, crew and boat" prize!

Wow thats an old boat...more than 70 years old. I am wondering how they looked like in those days. Any photo of it? Would be nice to see this old sailing boats :)
barco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote barco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 20 at 1:40pm
Condor 55 from 1976, but I'm sure there are a lot older than that one!

Actually I’ve been on a boat in Laos many years ago…when we went down on the Mekong from Huay Xay to Luang Prabang…that was so much fun, but the “boat” was the oldest I’ve ever seen…I can’t even tell, how old it was…but we arrived safe…that is what matters! :-) But I’m still glad that we didn’t have to spend the night on the boat…the trip took us two full days!
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 20 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by aitchy

Originally posted by patj

Our new boat is Merlin number 40 built in 1946. At least she's older than either crew though we'd be serious contenders for the "highest combined age of helm, crew and boat" prize!

Wow thats an old boat...more than 70 years old. I am wondering how they looked like in those days. Any photo of it? Would be nice to see this old sailing boats :)

Just look on the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association website http://www.cvrda.org

Lots of us with old boats there and some real oldies being restored - a 1920 International 12 in Wales, a B class sailing canoe (similar to Int Canoe) in Plymouth and there are some International 14s from the thirties and forties. Plus forgotten rarities from the fifties, sixties and seventies.
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 22 at 10:00am
let's see..
I've had Laser 72616 no idea how old she was.
Lysander 17, 722, designed 1964 she was about 1975
Had an early Lark IIRC 158 was her number..
The oldest boat I've helmed Yare and Bure 33 she was built in 1926
Regularly sailed Yeomans 38, 103, and 210, the Yeoman class is over 50 years old now.

Now the boat I have a one off boat designed 1996, I built her 1996-99, sailed .... twice
Then I moved to the mountains.., Then came home and she sat in the shed, while I sailed the Yeomans. Target day for relaunch 26th March this year
Still sailing in circles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456