FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Match Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match Racing
    Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 8:27pm

I am helming a J80 for my school in a match racing competition next term, having never sailed a J80 or done any match racing I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Cheers

George

----------------------
International 14 GBR1485
29er 310 for sale
Laser 138462 for sale
Optimist 4626 For sale
Villan View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 8:36pm
Dont hit anything.

They may move slowly, but they have a lot of momentum!!
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
theycallmegod View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote theycallmegod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 8:40pm
Tacticat has match racing servers...
Tacticat
Pick a time and I'll race you

Edited by theycallmegod
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 8:41pm
Tacticat is blocked at school, sorry mate. Yeah I know they are heavy but I was under the impression they are quite quick.
----------------------
International 14 GBR1485
29er 310 for sale
Laser 138462 for sale
Optimist 4626 For sale
Calum_Reid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Calum_Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 9:05pm
Chris Noble on here is the man to chat too. I've done a fair bit of sailing in the 80's too but not half as much as chris! will give my 2p tomorrow
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 9:21pm
Sail a bit like a big dinghy, the symetrical kite is easy compaired with the assy. Jib car posistion seems pritty important for up wind speed. If your still at school you should be able to get five people under the weight limit which should deffinatly make thing easyer.
Lark 2170
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by 29er310

I am helming a J80 for my school in a match racing competition next term, having never sailed a J80 or done any match racing I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Cheers

George

They go sideways very fast if you sheet in the sails too quick, especially on a start line. Make sure you have plenty of room to bear off into to get it going. Leech tension on the main is really important in strongish to strong breeze, make sure you get the traveller sorted soon as possible. Careful with the rudder upwind, not much movement, but though my experience of helming one they do respond well to well timed rudder movements. DO NOT PINCH, they hate it. When tacking ease the jib before the main, it helps the boat to luff by itself into the tack, and after take your time getting the jib back in, get it in 80%, drive hard, then grind the next 20% in. With reference to tacking, cross winch, the leward jib sheet should be ground on the windward winch, it keeps more weight to windward. I think that's about it for now, If I think of more I will post it.
Needs to sail more...
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 10:31pm
I expect that Tom knows more than me but I'm not sure that they hate pintching that much. I think that cross wintching can make thing a little bizzy in the cockpit which may not be helpfull for match racing, especally if your jumping into the boats for one day.
Lark 2170
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 10:36pm
thanks guys, does anyone know the weight limit.
----------------------
International 14 GBR1485
29er 310 for sale
Laser 138462 for sale
Optimist 4626 For sale
Calum_Reid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Calum_Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 08 at 10:39pm
You arent usualy allowed to cross winch in the RYA's 80's. Its in the prohibited actions thing thats attached to the SI's.

Im with Tom on everything he said, they reward being helmed well. USE YOUR WEIGHT LIKE ITS A DINGHY. If its light winds let it sail its self! You should be able to get 5 in. It makes life alot easier.

The wisdom of all the RYA coaches as to the Jib cars is just bring them fairly far back to open the top up then streach the hell out the bottom of the sail. The bottom doesnt look pretty but its worth it.

If its breeze on the main sheet trimmer should have track in one hand and main sheet and back stay in the other. You should be using the back stay ALOT!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>