FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Retired or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retired or not
    Posted: 17 Jan 05 at 10:47pm
They should have left the rules alone, there's about a 100 years of refinement thrown away for the sake of something "simpler".  Its actually a case of dumbing down and clearly leaves a lot unsaid, or am I being a grumpy old man?
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 05 at 6:24am

Yep!

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 05 at 8:39am

Originally posted by redback

Its actually a case of dumbing down and clearly leaves a lot unsaid, or am I being a grumpy old man?

First they made the rules "simpler". Then every 4 years they add another set of incomprehensible extras to fill in the holes the "simplification" left. The pre-1997 rules were clearer, resulted in fewer collisions and gave us better racing.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 9:04pm
I wouldn't say Redback is grumpy.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 12:13am

OK here is a question for you rules experts out there.

You are in a handicap race on a Wednesday evening with a fleet ranging from Laser 4000's to Toppers on a small course. Average lap timing is being used.

Once the L4000 laps the topper can the topper luff the L4000? Is this legal or are they interfering with a boat on a different leg of the course?

What is the rule number for this?

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 12:23am
The topper may not luff, rule 22.2 (prev. page of thread).  The 4000 and topper are both to sail their proper course to the next mark and are obliged to obey the rules of part 2 such as to prevent a colission.  (if you are in the 4000 go high and wide and try not to get involved, if you are the topper go low or tack/gybe out if possible)  Its faster to worry about keeping your own air clean than trying to get involved with a boat of sinificantly different speed. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 7:40am

Originally posted by Phil eltringham

The topper may not luff, rule 22.2 (prev. page of thread).

Maybe, maybe not. I think the conclusion we arrived at is that until there are some protests and cases, nobody really knows what 22.2 means.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

Originally posted by Phil eltringham

The topper may not luff, rule 22.2 (prev. page of thread).

Maybe, maybe not. I think the conclusion we arrived at is that until there are some protests and cases, nobody really knows what 22.2 means.

I agree this needs to go to protest, but I think that the topper cannot luff as you are indeed on a different leg / lap.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 05 at 1:46pm

The question is what is "interfering". The rules don't define the term. Whether a defensive luff to protect clear idea is "interference", none of us knows until there are some cases. If I were to guess, I'd guess not. I suspect what the ISAF means by "interference" is obstructing another boat e.g. one that is close to you in series points, purely as an aggressive move. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. Who knows, until there are cases?

Win or Swim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Win or Swim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 10:10pm

sorry to go back a bit in this conversation,

The conduct of that laser radial sailer who interfered in your race, and then spitefully wouldn't leave it behind on the water was appalling to say the least.  I'm an 18yr old racer, and have been club racing for three years, and I have never seen anything like that.  I thought that is completely against what we sail for, even when i've had real angry / agressive team races, we've got back in got to the bar and been best of mates.

If we carry on like this, then the risk of turning a 'sportmanship' sport into a sport with a reputation like football hooligans.

Please don't let our sport goto that. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>