FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Development for the MATURE sailor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Development for the MATURE sailor
    Posted: 18 Jan 05 at 7:36pm

On the other hand large boats - like the Boss - respond slower than little boats and a trapeze is much gentler on the body and particularly the knees than a sitting-out boat, and to cap it all an asymmetric is a lot easier (and interesting) than a conventional kite.  So the idea of a 1 string Boss is a good one.  I've not sailed one so this is a bit of supposition.  But I do sail a 4000 and I used to crew a 400.  A 400 I found absolutely knackering in a breeze because its sitting out, hard, upwind and down and almost as much effort at kite hoisting.

The only thing that's hard work for the helm in a 4000 is righting the thing (and it does capsize easily).  I guess the Boss is going to be similar, except the carbon rig might help, but I recall the 400 was one hell of a stretch to the centre board from the water, even if it didn't capsize quite so much.

Yeah, I think there's a future in a 1 string Boss.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 05 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by redback

A 400 I found absolutely knackering in a breeze because its sitting out, hard, upwind and down and almost as much effort at kite hoisting.

Dunno, I jump up the sharp end of 400s regularly and its an awful lot easier to pace the old bones. I just don't straight leg hike for much beyond the first twenty yards off the startline:-). And that little baby kite seems to nip up and down in a couple of pulls.
glennhow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote glennhow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 12:48am

for an expansive comparison spread sheet check out...

http://www.contractsolutions.net/J18/jn-18_comparison.html

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 12:54am

WHy not get the transom ballast to heave up the kite? - he can chuck the tiller extension to the crew on the wire and then heave away on the halyard.

Helms always used to do the halyard on pole kites - tell them to stop being so lazy and get on with it...

Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 1:23pm
The problem with a single wire boat for the larger person is that it will always pay to have a larger crew and smaller helm because on the wire is the right place to put the weight. Making me think that racks and two hiking might be the better option
mpl720 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mpl720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 3:52pm

Big boys B14 then ?  Perhaps with a chute though and perhaps a centreboard to go with the armchairs (but extra strong wings !)  However the thread was looking for a single-wire big boys (alright 'persons' then) modern asymetric.

Mike L.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12