FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rs 800

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rs 800
    Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 7:55pm
I'm bored so i thought i'd start a new topic  What does everyone think? I havn't sailed one but to me they seem fairly overpriced and seem to have a fairly unfair handicap (too fast for the boat).

Cheers

George

Edited by Smight at BBSC
RS600 988
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 8:03pm

Too easy to sail, over priced, even at second hand. Their handicap is not far out I don't think, on second thoughts they never do well in handicap events, possibly too fast handicap that the boat can't sail to..

29er with standard rig is actually harder to sail in my opinion..

Edited by Chris Bridges
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 9:06pm

Not sailed one but if your going for an 800 why not get a 49er?

Kudlinski View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kudlinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 9:14pm

I have heard the 800 is easy to sail but can only see it as as a good stepping stone before mving onto a 49er

they seem expensive to as you are having to spend ecleast £4000

Although they do look like alot of fun in the stronger stuff.

RS400 866
RS300 381
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 9:21pm
its new not many second hand laser 4000 anyone but good none the less imo if you dont want the costs of running a 49er
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
nathan View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 11:37pm

Excellent boat, excellent circuit.. but then I'm biased, I used to have one.

Competitive events, big fleets- 50 in Garda, 50 at the nationals. The boat is easy to sail, yet hard to sail well, quick, yet manageable.

Handicap is fair, it is one of the few twin wire boats you can get round a club course (ie. not just w/l) and still be in with a chance. Steve Irish won the Tiger Trophy a few years back and almost walked away with the £1000 cheque for winning all 4 races...

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 08 at 11:43pm

I havn't sailed one but they are quick in a blow, in light stuff they are of the pace a bit

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 8:01am

They're easier to saill that a 29er, so not really a steppig stone to the 49er.

The 29erXX rig, although I don't like it, is probably the best stepping stone.

Running costs answers your question radixon. Lots of little breakges on the 49er that soon start to stack up, aparantly, but I have batter the boat several times and not broken anything (wind battered, gone out when it was a bit too much for me to handle!)

29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 11:57am
having sailed both, the 29er is definitely easier than the 800, its only single wire for one thing!

The 800 is a good boat and i think nathan sums it up pretty well. Its a double wire boat which is less brutal than the 49er, more manageable in bigger winds, and easier for a less experienced crew or helm but it still provides good high performance sailing.

I wouldn't say its overpriced, 2nd hand boat are regularly around the 5k mark which isn't that much for what you get. I would say its a better boat than the 29erXX but then I've only sailed the prototype XX, not that its much different.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 12:36pm

I have sailed the 29er and the RS800, both vaguely competitivelu, the RS800 was easier to helm in my opinion, helming on the wire is not really that hard.. But maybe thats just me!

I have sailed the XX rig, its really de powered but as a stepping stone to the 49er I would say it is probably better. XX rig feels quite wierd to begin with but after a while its alright, same as the 49er (but the 49er isn't depowered!) Its very similar to sail actually, apart from the 49er is a lot quicker (in your movements etc)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>