FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Singlehanded skiff? Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Guest View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singlehanded skiff? Which one?
    Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 3:43pm

Originally posted by JimC

I just looked up PY numbers... is the RS700 20 points faster than the Musto Skiff as the numbers suggest?
The Musto skiff number isn't actually far off the trial number we've worked out for the new spinnaker-free 50kg Canoes...

This MPS & 700 PY's are an age old debate.

There has only been 2 events where any number of boats have raced each other and that is the tide ride ...

http://www.mustoskiff.com/reports-and-news/2006/tide-ride.ht m

Both were pretty much a MPS whitewash. But was that the boat or the level of skill in the fleet?

My personal view is that the 700 PY should be raised to match the MPS.

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Guest#260

]My personal view is that the 700 PY should be raised to match the MPS.

But the 700 number has got as far as secondary status, which mean its got a lot more statistical validity than the Musto Skiff one which is a trial number. That means that either/both more races are being done in 700s or/and the numbers recorded are much closer together (and probably both). So its more likely to be correct to drop the Musto Skiff number to match the 700 one [he said, with large stirring stick in hand].
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 4:03pm
We have a few of each at Chw, and they seem very evenly matched.  Possibly the Musto's are a tiny bit faster, but they all finish mixed up in a bunch . But it is hard to judge the crew skill factor.  On a side issue - if the Musto only has an (RYA supplied) trial number is that really any more valid than the foiling Moths guessing their own PY?  Should Musto's be allowed at the Bloody Mary?!  (Stirring the pot a bit more...)
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Guest#260

]My personal view is that the 700 PY should be raised to match the MPS.

But the 700 number has got as far as secondary status, which mean its got a lot more statistical validity than the Musto Skiff one which is a trial number. That means that either/both more races are being done in 700s or/and the numbers recorded are much closer together (and probably both). So its more likely to be correct to drop the Musto Skiff number to match the 700 one [he said, with large stirring stick in hand].

I can't believe I am getting sucked into this ....

In theory that would be correct but I am afraid practice tells us otherwise ...

the PY system if OK for fun racing but as you often point out crew skill factor is the key element.

Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 1:06pm

Originally posted by acidsalior

Wat bout the hydrofoilers? 600ff or a moth. OR get a low rider then buy the foils separate after getting used to the boat?
Adem

Your budget will get you a more competitive RS600FF than a foiling Moth of the same price. The 600 is a one design so as long as it's in good condition it will be up to speed. You can get a foiling Moth for under £4k, there's one on the Moth site for £3600, but it's a 14 year old design so although it will foil it won't be competitive once you master it, so be prepared to have to sell it and buy a more up to date design at some point.

I think the jury's still out on which is harder to sail and they seem to be similar in performance in breeze, with the Moths foiling earlier in lighter winds, but the best advice for either boat is start with a lowrider then either convert to foils or trade up. It's a lot easier to convert a 600 to foils than a Moth as the 600 has a ready to assemble kit that just requires basic drilling and bolting, but to convert an old Moth you need to customise everything to fit.

RS600 1001
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 2:21pm
I don't know much about your sailing experience but you sound very ambitious. Maybe start off with the 600 and once you've got the hang of it you could sail pretty much anything from there.    
RS600 988
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 4:46pm

Nothing wrong with being ambitious!

Do it - getting wet doesn't hurt (much)

RS600 1001
acidsalior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote acidsalior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Smight at BBSC

I don't know much about your sailing experience but you sound very ambitious. Maybe start off with the 600 and once you've got the hang of it you could sail pretty much anything from there.    

You could say that! I dont mind jumping in at the deep end. I sail as much as possible and even take the bus when i cant get a lift. That means getting up at around 8 which is alot for a 16 year old!

Also for me it is never too windy.. except for that time when we capped took down the main and still capsized with the jib furled.    That woz scary!
Titch
Flat Stanly 2705
Cherub
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 6:27pm
The boats you are looking to buy i hate to say will / culd become very exspensive if you're not careful!
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 7:05pm

You take the bus? With common people on it???

That is dedication  

RS600 1001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>