FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Black no sugar View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh ideas
    Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 4:30pm

Our Sailing Committee has recently been improved with the arrival of an enthusiastic young lady who would like to motivate the younger sailors of our club. She has started racing about 3 years ago and hasn't known any other club than Lancing, where the games and fun-on-the-water culture is desperately needed. She's trying to get ideas of games suitable for our location and members.

I headed straight to this Sailing Games section, thinking this was the answer, but alas! Big smile Over the last year, there's been one relevant thread, the rest being computer games and drinking challenges

Now, here's what we are:

- Lancing is a coastal club on a shingle beach, with strong tides at times and waves, of course. In an offshore wind, we can't walk or drive round the lake to pick up lost balloons or stray Toppers. Even if the games will take place in fair weather, we can't use small floating items or we'll never find them.

- Younger members are either beginners or of average competence. The youngest person likely to take part single-handed will be 9, a few are in their pre-teens and a 2 or 3 are older teenagers. They would all sail Toppers, unless some kind-hearted and well-insured parent let them play with a 2 man boat.

- I am not sure if the group would have the sole use of a RIB. There will be rescue boats available for the sailing areas, but maybe not one dedicated to the group. 

- Crucial point, we don't want games that point out at any specific manoeuvre (no "Tack-on-the-whistle" training). The idea is to have a Youth group run by young people with no adult interference, where they can have a good time and improve their boat-handling without noticing.

So, taking all these into account, has anyone got any ideas? Most of the active forum members are still in that age range, it shouldn't be a problem

Loads of thanks!

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 4:47pm
We run a games day every year at our club, but I can't think of anything we do that can realistically be run on a beach club with a shorebreak...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 4:54pm

A long time ago, someone here posted a link to a .pdf document of several pages, hosted on the RYA site, old style. I should have kept a copy on my hard drive but didn't and I can't find it in the RYA new site.

I was a compilation of all the games used during training / fun days, some suitable only for lakes and ponds, others easy to adapt to sea sailing. Does it ring a bell? I have contacted the RYA website today to see if I can obtain a copy.

Shorebreak in Lancing can be dramatic, yep, but those fun / games afternoons would only take place at low tide, when the waves are minimal. Coming back ashore wouldn't be a problem, really.

Any game you think has potential is welcome: I'll forward the whole lot to the organiser at a later date. Thnx!

MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 5:15pm
Childrens Games

There you go BNS
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 5:32pm

Do you still need some after that link????

Top find MRJP

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 6:41pm

Originally posted by MRJP BUZZ 585

Childrens Games

There you go BNS

Hug THAT'S THE ONE!

I knew someone would come up with the link

Merci merci JP, you're a star 

FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 7:31pm
The topper kids absolutley loved team racing this weekend, although for new people to the sport it would be a bit confusing
Neil

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 8:38pm

boat football is good.

or tag with pegs on the back of sails. or ballons on a peice of rope behind.

pirates is a good one.

capsize games where u anchor them all in a long line and shout numbers for them to do tasks

TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 10:26pm
Follow my leader, then they concentrate on what other boats are doing, rather on exactly how they tack etc, so they do it without thinking.
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
mu-6443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mu-6443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 08 at 5:22pm
A great one for teaching rules;
1) Toppers work best with 2 boats on a team.
2) Each team protects a mark by gaining right of way and forcing other boats away, for example; attacking boat approaches on Port, defending boat acks onto Starboard and gets between attackers and mark
3) If the attacker gets to the mark, then they keep it! So  towards the end of the game, the best team tends to be Sailing all over the place protecting marks, so the other teams can nick marks by timing their attack
4) The team with the most marks at the emd wins!

Variations are easy as well, for example; Protect the Islands, buried treasure etc.

TASAR     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>