FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Towing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rob.e View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Towing...
    Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:11pm
I've seen small cars towing OK, just don't try/expect to go too fast! Of course it depends on how far you want to go, and how many hills etc, but some buddies of mine took a Nat12 to Chew/Axbridge behind a Nova many years ago, and the 200 should be about the same load.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 05 at 9:32pm
When I lived in Cheshire I used to do the Scorpion circuit.  I remember doing an open on Coniston (Lake District) one weekend and the Sheppey Island Race (Kent) the following weekend.  I had a Citroen at the time, 2 cylinders and 602cc.  It was no problem and down hill used to make up for what it lost up hill!
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 5:23pm
I've towed the Lark behind a 1.1 Fiesta with no problems - average dinghy even with trailer I guess weighs less than 3 adults.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 1:04am
Contender at 80mph behind a 2CV downhill - ask Jeremy Troughton for details...
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 10:08am
I've seen an 18 footer on the back of a saxo.  Looked a bit strange with the boat prety much twice the size of the car, apparently it towed very nicely. 
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Gael View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 9:14pm
I had a Saxo for a while - only a 1.1 but it towed the 4000 a treat... not so
surprised to hear of one towing an 18!
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 7:36am

Just for interest I have just had a towbar fitted to my car. It is a MG ZTT and the price ranged from £180 to £323. So I went for the £180

The company was called Autotow and I got them out of the yellow pages, they are based in Essex but they cover Essex, Kent and Sussex. They come to where you want them and fix it there and then. No hassel. I would recommend them to anyone.

BTW I asked the most expensive company (B&B trailers in Sussex) why they were so expensive. They gave such a load of bull****. They even said the quality of the cheaper towbar would be untrustworthy. Well the cheaper towbar fitted was a Witter one - exactly the same as they would supply.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
sjm. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjm. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 10:29am

I had a tow bar and electrics fitted to my MX5, which I have used to tow my 470 and laser2. Cost of supply and fit was about £100 from a company in Romford but I can't remember their name or find the receipt.

Whichever car you are planning to use check the car out first to make sure it is suitable. Some cars are not designed for towing and therefore will not be legal or insurable. The handbook should state it's towing ability and a good indication is on  web-sites of companies who list tow bars for various models of cars... if your's ain't there check with the manufacturer!

Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 11:00am
We would have bought a Ford KA as our second car but the're not designed for a towbar. Just as well we had a suspiscion because the dealer didn't have a clue and would have sold it to us with all sorts of assurances - but we made him check...
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
sjm. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjm. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 05 at 2:22pm

Good job you checked! I was lucky with mine as it's an old model, newer ones can't do it ( I think it's to do with european legislation ). Otherwise it would be time to look for a new car. I heard about a guy who towed his boat on a launching trolley behind his bicycle... hope he didn't have to go far!

Si
Solo 2751 "Jolly Jumper"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>