FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser sailing near London

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Racing Ron View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Racing Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser sailing near London
    Posted: 05 Jan 05 at 1:46pm

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a laser 1 and race it somewhere near London (I live in Battersea).

Never sailed one before so looking for a friendly club that would help me out which offers good racing.

Thanks in advance,

Lucy Lee View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 05 at 2:25pm

Hi Ron,

we sail at Datchet (just next to heathrow) which is a no-nonsense club with plenty of racing, friendly atmosphere and a huge variety of boats (including lots of lasers). They seem to cater for all abilites and you can sail there any day of the week (with rescue cover I believe).

Another option might be Island Barn (IBRSC) which is just off the root of the M3. The reservoir is much smaller than Datchet (but is always full) and the club is lovely. They are incredibly friendly and welcoming, and it is much cheaper than Datchet. The last time I sailed there (this summer) there were about 20 lasers who had organised an RYA coaching day!

We chose to go to Datchet because the launching is easier for our boat and the area of water is greater in the winter, but it was a close run thing.

Fly Cherub!
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 05 at 2:59pm

Ron, Island Barn would be a good choice.  It's straight down the A3 from you. Get to Scilly Isles roundabouts at Esher then down towards Hampton Court, left down Walton Road to West Molesey, turn left at St Peters Church down High Street, and follow this all the way to the end.  At crossroads go straight across and the sailing club is right in front of you.

Guess where I grew up

3600Matrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3600Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 05 at 3:55pm

Hello Ron,

Island Barn is a great club, I took my little brother down there on Sunday to race his Topper. There was a small but very competant Laser fleet having a great closely fought race.

If you are in London want a friendly owner run club that has lasers racing each week try Hampton Sailing club, it is on a wide stretch of river. offers very competative racing, a fantastic friendly atmosphere and a superb bar. There is a club laser that you would be very welcome to borrow if you fancy trying before you buy.

Take the left at the roundabout just before Hampton court bridge (if coming from kingston) and the club is on the left hand side.

tap the club name into google, there is a web site.

Racing Ron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Racing Ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 05 at 7:22pm

Guys,

That's absolutely brilliant. Thanks for all your suggestions and keep them coming.

I've been to Datchet before and found them very welcoming, but I'd like to have a good look around the others before making a decision.

Ron.

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 05 at 6:55am
Don't forget Queen Mary just north of the M3 / A316 towards Staines.  Bit pricey though...
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 05 at 7:58am

Originally posted by Blobby

Don't forget Queen Mary just north of the M3 / A316 towards Staines.  Bit pricey though...

QMSC are not really the friendliest club I've ever encountered - I'm afraid I've had several bad experiences there over the years. I'd second Datchet as a good choice though.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 05 at 6:01pm
While I don't sail Lasers I do sail at Island Barn. I chose it because its reasonably cheap (by the standards of Clubs who have to pay Thames Water dues) and very welcoming. I've felt no desire to change. The Laser fleet seems pretty strong. 33 Lasers have started races so far in the winter series. See here for entries, looks as if the boats on the water is usually in double figures. There are club Lasers at Island Barn too, and there is class race training from time to time as well as "new to sailing" training sessions on Tuesday evenings in the Summer.

Edited by JimC
 Post Reply Post Reply