FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VAGO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
ssailor View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VAGO
    Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 3:18pm
The centre main on a topper is a brilliant idea, (i have never used one) but from other kids at the sailing club its obvious it makes the progression through boats easier - especially to other youth classes like the Laser rads, or 29ers.

The feva is a much better boat than the pico, and for anyone who thinks its tippy try sailing a 29er in hardly any wind, bloomin things dont even stand up on their own (then again neither does my I14!)

Goin back to the Vago - all i can say is why the hell have laser tried to cross a 2000, a 29er and a Pico?!! Its just a fat ugly mutant version of the brilliant 29er, combined with its all up sailing weight of 41/2 ton its is never going to be a brilliant boat.

At the end of the day we should be removing aft mains from all boats and leaving them to those weird cat sailing types, as the centremain is what all decent boats use, so what is the point in teaching kids in an aft main boat?!!

Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.
Wave Rider View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 5:20pm

Yeah,

Just got back from a holiday and missed most of this discussion but i think being able to get brilliant race training and race oportunities in a class is imporant for training because :

If you learn to sail in a Pico you are going to want to race eventually and this is hard in a pico.

You have just learned to sail and now you have to chage class to enter Open meeting's etc.

If you learn in a Topper you can then learn the basics, then upgrade to a race rig and get to a competetive level and you are obviously going to want to enter some class races eventually !!!!

Finshed my rant...............oh yeah and if you are learning to sail your not going to want to buy new wetsuits all the time and Pico's really wreck wetsuits and there is PICO KNEE!  

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 05 at 6:19pm
with so many aft main classes changing to centre main if they havent already the topper is now a much better boat to learn in, a trick my dad taught me for teaching begginers in toppers to encorage propperboat balance, is to do a hand stand on the foredeck against the mast. the begginer will then build up confidence as they think they can balance the boat well, though if it heels too much you can level the boat out a bit by adding more pressure to your windward hand.

I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:42pm
When it's almost too windy ( and the kids don't go ) the dads get to race the picos..... quite fun !!

carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 9:48pm
yer i know what you mean wave rider i teach people to sail in picos and one lady bought a new wetsuit bafore doing her course and two days into the couse the knees were completely worn out.
International 14 1503
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 10:25pm

one of the many problems with the pico is that its to shallow to teach propper boat crossing technique on your feet as it feels un natural to stand up in them

Edited by stuarthop

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 12:54am
Originally posted by stuarthop

to shallow to teach propper boat crossing technique on your feet

Proper boat crossing technique is class specific surely.  How many olympic europe, finn and laser sailors get up on their feet to cross the boat?  Severe danger of doing a Mr. Jardine if you do!

Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 1:37am

Originally posted by Blobby

Severe danger of doing a Mr. Jardine if you do!

Is this going to be an official sailing term in the future? Our grandchildren will do a jardine and get wet (and bruised) and philologists will be totally puzzled by the origin of the word. Mark, you're becoming a legend!!    

stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 2:05pm
lol

Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 4:34pm

i know someone else that did that, they were leaning over to talk to me when i was sailing next to them and their boom whipped over, hit them in the back of the head and knocked them in. veeeery funny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789