FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asmy kite wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Iain C View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asmy kite wanted
    Posted: 23 Nov 07 at 8:36am

I should have probably explained why...just look at the construction and the seams all radiate out from the areas of load.

The only way in which it would possibly deal with the load would be to cut it into three pieces so in effect you have a clew with it's radials, head with the same etc and then cut pieces off where the 3 pieces join and restitch.

That way, it might not fall apart, but it's absolutely guaranteed to look like a sack of $h!te!!!!!

I think you need to consign this idea to the same drawer as Aqua's 12 pole and Norfolk's air ballon kite!!!

RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 07 at 9:25am

lol when I said cut it down I was thinking like either you or ben did to an 800 kite - by taking a sliver out of the top 3/4 & re-stitch, hard to explain - i have a pic somewhere!! Other plan is to have one made, or try and find one from a big rig 12!

Aquas pole, it worked - prob only had a little more flex than simons, but granted a little long and too bendy & Norfolks ballon kite, haha - silly B14 kites! Least it was nothing like Tinners, "THE BALOON" haha! But it got us twining in dick all wind & these were the days before "new rules"!!!

ps I wouldnt cut down an 18 kite! Think im gona speak to a sail loft about this one - my original question was simply, is there a donor kite, like the 800 is to the cherub!! if not - im willing to accept that!

-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 9:55am
Ben did his differently to mine.  He chopped the middle out to lose height, I just took a sliver off the leech, clew and head staying the same, purely to reduce the mid girth measurement to get it through.  At the head and clew the thickness of the sliver was 0mm, at the mid point it was about 20mm.  That will work becasue the head clew and tack stay in the same place, you are not trying to make the kite dimensionally smaller, or fit a smaller rig, it was just a measurement fiddle.
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 10:10am

In general you can't cut down sails and expect them to work as they were designed to. Minor recutting of the leech of a headsail and cutting down such as Iain describes is about all you can realistically get away with for sails that are to be used for racing.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but with the direction it's taking shouldn't this thread be in the dinghy section??

andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 11:42am
Dont worry chris, this shouldnt be in the dinghy seciton as all I was asking was: is there a yachting kite which has a mast of about 9m and mast to tack of about 16ft which I can put onto my boat. I dont want to play around with re-cutting sails purely as Iain just described! Its only a trial rig.
-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 5:13pm
Andy, good luck hunting for a suitable sail. You might have more luck on the J80 class association site if you think a J80 asy might be suitable. At 65sqm they're pretty big...
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 3:25pm
LOL
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12