FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did ISAF make the right decision?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Was it right removing the catamaran from the 2012 Olympic regatta?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [20.13%]
127 [79.87%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
teamtb View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote teamtb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did ISAF make the right decision?
    Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 3:57pm

Hi, I appreciate all the time everybody has put into this but can anyone tell me what is the point of this poll. Do the Olmpic Committee read Yachts and Yachting Forum??

Can we not now get back to the business of catamaran sailing and do it to impress and encourage others to fly two hulls and not one.

We will get it back with a majority in the future.

After all the weather forecast for Weymouth in 2012 is very very light!

Nick

BarnsieB14768 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote BarnsieB14768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 4:00pm

Hi Mark

See my comments on the other thread. I think not and feel it is more about cronyism and scetarianism rather than the good health of a sport many of us feel passionately about and put many hours into behind the scenes.

Just glad I am no longer involved in an Olympic campaign. Feel sorry for our Tornado boys who have sacrificied a lot for the RYAs and their benefit but now for what when they could have had the chance they needed in the UK at their own Olympics. Brfian Phipps must feel really let down by the RYA as he should.

The overall picture is that ISAF is driving the Olympics to the fringes and eventually out of the Olympics. IOC requirements come down to cost and returns and if sailing is not attractive, people will not watch it as it will be dead boring viewing for the majority of classes. Just glad that the Merlin Rocket and B14 to name but a few have their development and management (control) administered by people who are in there at the heart of sailing for the right reasons.

There will be a lot of smoke over this selection and only hope that when reflecting back in the future, see an opportunity that sailing as a whole missed.

Bye for now  

SoggyDoggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyDoggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 10:01am
The RYA are a bunch of introverts.
Soggy Doggie
Sprint Bob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprint Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 6:16pm

Just 77 votes??

Hard to believe - does the graphic ever get updated?

Bob

Black no sugar View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 8:05pm
It gets updated every time there's a new vote... but... no one has voted recently, I suppose.
It might be because all regular contributors have already had their say, and the others can see that this kind of poll is very unlikely to achieve much.
The decision's been made; best thing we can do is to get over it  
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 8:21am
The decision hasn't been made, the International Olympic Committee get the final say.  So if you disagree with the choices, there is still time to lobby and petition for change.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
BarnsieB14768 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote BarnsieB14768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 7:52pm

Hi again

Have had a chat to a couple of the guys who were down in Estorial and it gets even stranger. Apparently the RYA worked with a Lobby group of cat sailors from the UK to ensure the continuity of the cat in the Olympics but alas it did not work. Very strange that France ditched the Tornado as third most successful European country in the class.

Bye for now

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 10:10am
I guess it is sort of like what Will Carling said about the people making decisions about rugby "57 old farts in a room" or something like that.

Sailing is a sport for life and those people making the decisions need to be in touch with the sailing public.

ISAF have the email address of every ISAF sailor, so getting option would be cheap and easy but perhaps they do not want to do this.
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 07 at 9:52pm

I don't blame them for ditching the Tornado from the olympics, but they should have kept a cat in.  The tornado has become just far too expensive to campaign for all but the richest countries.  Even the UK and America only have one or two teams on the olympic circuit, and most of the time they race F18s, only using the Tornado for the big events.  F18?! now there is a thought!, would the visual spectical be any worse in the eyes of a non-sailing "joe public" if the cat class was say the hobie tiger than the tornado, it still goes quick, has three sails and flys a hull most of the time, oh!, and its properly one design, and much cheaper so more countries can compete.  Then again if i remember there is a limit on the total number of competitors for sailing in the games and making classes more accessable would put more pressure on qualification for the big countries or for ISAF to blag more spaces for one of the less photogenic sports.  On that i could not comment further, but its a thought, what do people think??

For the record my choice of clesses would run ike this:

single handers: male: laser  female: laser radial or byte CII
double hander: mixed ( ie: one male and one female in each boat): 470
skiff: male: 49er  female: 29erXX
windsurfer: male: RSX  female: RSX
cat: open/mixed: hobie tiger (or open F18)
keelboat: male: star or SB3  female: yngling or SB3

that makes 10 events, keeps both types of spinnaker in, cats in, parity between the sexes across all diciplines and proves that its not just horse riding where the sexes can compete on level terms.  (Oh and the keelboats should be more fun to watch too)

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 07 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Phil eltringham

IThe tornado has become just far too expensive to campaign for all but the richest countries.  Even the UK and America only have one or two teams on the olympic circuit, and most of the time they race F18s, only using the Tornado for the big events. 

Can you justify these claims as the UK had at least 5 teams trying to qualify for 2008 and well their was at least 4 teams already campaigning for 2012 in the tornado!

Your point about them sailing the F18 is that some times they sail F18s because there are no tornado events on and the competition is almost as hard as in the olympic tornado!

lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>