FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Events for 2012...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Events for 2012...
    Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 9:27am

How about this solution to the weight issue and the "media spectacular issue":

1, Skiff like boat - Open, all up crew weight below 130kg (something like a 29er / 39er ?? / GT60 ? )

2, Skiff like boat - Open, all up crew weight > 130 (49er type)

3, 2 up Catamaran, Open - Tornado ?

4, Single hander men

5, Single hander ladies

6, Keelboat - open, crew weight set at max ?, but to encourge a spread of crew weights, a Righting moment rule, so you might have 4 light crew, or 3 heavy, or even 3 light all on the wire ! Make it fairly open, maybe a small version of the "open 30's that had umpteen on the wire".  Now I understand that this may end up gravitating to a certain "fast" setup, but it's gotta be worth a try ?

7, Wind surfer men

8, Wind surfer ladies

9, Single handed Catamaran; Maybe a "more controlled A class", current helm weights at the A class worlds (on now) are not shown, but I know there is a fairly wide spread; perhaps a one design platform, but allow the rig to be devloped to allow different weights to compete.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
kanga View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 9:52am

i think that open classes are too complicated and the general trend (obviously there are exceptions), is that unless you enforce one man and one woman per team, the two men will beat the mixed/all women teams. i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

keelboats need to be standardized, 4 small people will always be better than 3 heavier ones as you can utilize weight more efficiently, and there are way more hands/eyes/brains on the boat, but the IOC need to keep the number of athletes down too....

people could argue to include all forms of sailing, keep them all open and have these ten:

single hander

double hander hiking

double hander trapezing

single hander trapezing

single handed foiling

catamaran

keelboat match

keelboat fleet

model yacht racing

offshore

but that really would be impractical!! imagine that though, lol!

Worthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Worthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:03am
Originally posted by kanga

i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

Not widely sailed - OK

Not as modern???  The A class is, in certain areas, at the cutting edge of cat technology and are leading the field, particularly in hull shape.
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Worthy

Originally posted by kanga

i dont think you need a single handed catamaran - they are not as widely sailed or as modern these days.

Not widely sailed - OK

Not as modern???  The A class is, in certain areas, at the cutting edge of cat technology and are leading the field, particularly in hull shape.

I was going to pick up on the same thing.  At the worlds currently on, there are 100 boats (no Brits) and the gear includes solid wing sails, curved travellers, wave piercing hulls and on-the-fly adjustable diamonds.  Whilst I'm not sure they should be in the Olympics, they are definitley modern.

I'm beginning to come round to idea of only having one Olympic class - the MPS.  It takes a broad weight range (Kit to Sten), is fast, televisual, demanding, skillful, has a kite and a trapeze, is good looking and popular.  I reckon if you can win in one of these you've got to have pretty good all round sailing skills and would probably be good in any boat.  And if you concentrate the Olympic talent in one class, you get a very worthy, undisputed, champion.

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
kanga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 10:47am
ok fair enough thats a good point, being single minded again! must stop that!  (punches self in the face!)
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 11:44am
yawn.... is this going to go on much longer???? you can suggest as many classes/events and whatever as you like, unless you posters all happen to be the head of the ISAF it's basically irrelevant at this point!

... Cat sailors of the world unite! cheer! celebrate! you are no longer at the whim of these beaurocrats and can start your own I-Cat-S-A-F and hold events on your own terms, award medals in classes you want to sail, not you are forced to sail, incorporate as much technology as you want (or not) and organise your own courses, rules etc...

If you must try and appeal to the TV companies of the world (still can't work out this obsession), incorporate events in Extreme 40's alongside 18-20ft cat sailing and perhaps a hydo-foil cat event, throw it open to mixed teams and enjoy.
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
kanga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 11:48am
hehe well said getafix, yes its all sad at the end of the day for some and not others, but its done, cant change it, life moves on!
Franco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Franco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 12:57pm

Actually you can......read below.

Below a statement from Sail NZ daily e-newsletter which I receive each morning.

On the ISAF front, criticism of the chosen event card for 2012 Olympics seems to be near universal. The process for reversal/change is reasonably simple. All that is required is that a National Authority puts forward a submission advocating that a change be made and get support from other National Authorities for that move.

While that might not suit those who like bureaucracy and order, the unfortunate reality of life, is that we live in a democratic society. Bad decisions can be undone – provided they have majority support. And with the close voting of last week, it only takes a couple to jump the fence (or not abstain from voting) and the deal is done!

Skiffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 1:54pm

Do we all write letters to the RYA then?

just for a laugh http://www.monohullandfatoldmensailing.org/

49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 07 at 1:57pm
How the hell does that work did someone buy the site and link it to the ISAF site if so thats genius......
lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>