FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
LizM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LizM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Suggestions?
    Posted: 31 Dec 04 at 9:39am
Originally posted by redback

I'll just add a few observations.  The Europe is a real throroughbred and with the right rig you can make it fit your weight but it all costs a lot of money.  Soemone like Shirley Robertson was happy to spend enough money to try several rigs until she had a rig which suited her weight and style.  Most people can't afford that and when they buy a 2nd hand boat they gennerally have live with what they get.  If you could find a boat with the right rig I'd go for it because they are lovely boats.

Alternatively you'll have to have something out of a box, ie Laser or Byte.  The new Byte rig sounds good but are there other boats to race against - probably not?  I reckon you'd learn more and have more fun if you sail a boat that others sail at your club - regardless of your weight (as long as you don't go silly, ie don't buy a Finn).

Hello! Regarding the Byte - I don't remember seeing any at my club - I'll do some asking around but they are mainly Lasers and Oppies. While I want to enter club racing initially I don't mind not having the same boat as everyone else - it's going to be a boat for me to learn in and get better in (hopefully!) I'm not sure there's much point getting a Laser if it's just going to be over powered constantly and it isn't the right boat to learn in...

The Europe is also high up my list of possibilities - there isn't anyone in Cardiff with a Europe (that I know of!) but I have friend in Bristol who knows a lot about them so I'll ask him for his thoughts

... Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama...
Rob.e View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 05 at 8:33pm
My experience of the Laser is that it's a particularly horrible boat to sail if you aren't the right weight to sail it, though it may be better with the new controls. Europe, Byte, lightning, are all much nicer, and I did wonder about the Streaker? It's billed as a lightweights boat, but I don't know how light! It may also not be so good on the sea. The Europe is probably the most demanding of the other 3, and has a slightly uncertain future due to loosing it's olympic place; OK so long as you don't pay too much!
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 8:33am
The Europe is definitely a great boat, I bought one for £200 and have had a lot of fun with it.  I took it to the nationals and despite being probably overweight (I'm 5'6" and 11 stone) for the boat (as well as the boat being well overweight...) I managed a 4th in one of the lightest races of the weekend.  It's good far better handling than a laser (which in comparison handles like a barge).  Don't get too hung up on the boom, it's a technique issue and you get used to it quickly.  There are definitely some deals to be had and you can always buy a cheap hull and then mix and match the other bits as a lot of the olympic girls have multiple sails and masts that they'll be wanting to get rid of!

Lightning seems another popular boat for smaller lady helms, we've a number at my home club.  Don't know much about them though.

Good Luck

T
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 11:05am

You would certainly not be overweight at 11 stone in a Europe, as this is a common weight for a lot of the male sailors in the class.

Regards the Streaker the National Champion is a Radial sailor, so I would guess the competitive weight is similiar.

mothball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mothball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 05 at 6:09pm
If you're going to get a single hander it's got to be a moth! If you were thinking of a 700 you'll be good enough! I'm about 50kg myself. Also, being a female mothie is cool - there's only 2 of us in the UK atm. You can adjust the rig easily so you're not overpowered!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234