FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
LizM View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LizM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Suggestions?
    Posted: 29 Dec 04 at 11:01pm

Hello Ian, Jim, Servus, Harry & Dave!

Having crewed in the Cherub nationals earlier in the year and seeing the Int Moths flying around they definitely look great fun! (But I do think a bit out of my league at the moment!!)

I sail at Cardiff - I'm a member of Cardiff Bay Yacht Club and they have RYA courses there and one of my friends is a 'teacher' - although it was him who at a presentation evening drunkenly suggested a Laser as they have a lot at the club. They are a friendly bunch and do hold a lot of races in Cardiff Bay - although the setup isn't perfect for dinghys it's close and it has water and (very variable) wind!

... So I'm kind of still in the dinghy sport (I am also the sailing Rep of Wales University Royal Navy Unit) - I've taken some people out in our Bosun dinghies a couple of times to teach them the basics of sailing but I think it's a lack of confidence and I really don't know my own ability - I need to get out on the water and practice (which is hard when you don't have your own boat and rely on others to sail).

Anyway, I'm definitely not rushing into any decisions and am noting all your suggestions down with the pros and cons. I think I'm going to have to get my contact book out and try to get some test sails of different dinghies! The Dinghy Show also sounds like a good opportunity to see and compare the different boats.

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated

Liz

... Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama...
LizM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LizM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 04 at 11:05pm
Thanks Sailor Girl! I don't know where my limited dinghy knowledge has come from but prior to today I'd never heard of a Byte! It does look like a nice boat though and is definitley high up on the list of possibilities - thanks for the offer of more advice!
... Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. - Dalai Lama...
Brian View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 04 at 11:05pm
u ignored the live in Byte expert?
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 04 at 11:06pm
o wait, we both typed at the same time. soz
LizM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LizM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 04 at 11:08pm
lol! yeah we typed at the same time!!
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 04 at 9:47am
I would say you're too light to sail a byte competitvely without struggling upwind in a blow unless your fitness is very good- but it sounds like it would be perfect for the level of sailing you're looking at.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 04 at 11:43am

Hi Liz,

If you get Y&Y they did a review on the new Byte very recently. I believe it was Christina Bassdone that did the sailing bit.

Does look impressive and the rig looks very controllable and is 'self depowering' thanks to the fancy new carbon top section.

I would say it is definitely more for you than any of the Laser range. I am told that at 75kg I am ideal for a full rig Laser inland or a radial in waves. Not sure what the waves are like in Cardiff bay but I know a lad who is a member down there, his name is Rory Johnson, he sails a Laser and is a Uni in Cardiff.

I would say try and get a test sail in as many different types of boat as you can before you decide and then go for the one you like the best and that is sailed where you sail (handy for set up and technique)

Regards,

Paul

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 04 at 1:57pm
Bytes are fine for you - they are used in Singapore as the next step up from Oppies and the average weight of the lasses sailing them here is about 40Kg and they aren't slow...
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 04 at 2:54pm
What's the average wind strength in Singapore?
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 04 at 5:03pm

I'll just add a few observations.  The Europe is a real throroughbred and with the right rig you can make it fit your weight but it all costs a lot of money.  Soemone like Shirley Robertson was happy to spend enough money to try several rigs until she had a rig which suited her weight and style.  Most people can't afford that and when they buy a 2nd hand boat they gennerally have live with what they get.  If you could find a boat with the right rig I'd go for it because they are lovely boats.

Alternatively you'll have to have something out of a box, ie Laser or Byte.  The new Byte rig sounds good but are there other boats to race against - probably not?  I reckon you'd learn more and have more fun if you sail a boat that others sail at your club - regardless of your weight (as long as you don't go silly, ie don't buy a Finn).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>