FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er foils.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Skiffman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 9:19am

I use to just use car body filler plastic padding because it drys in less than 10mins if you get a hair dryer or heat gun on it. You just put a layer on, then sand it and just keep putting layers on until you get the right shape.

The best thing to you would be epoxy silica and microballons, but the problem is that it is much harder to sand than plastic padding but it would last forever.

Interestingly I have a set of Aussie 29er foils which have epoxy ends compared to the Ovi foils which are a rubbery type. What would you prefer to have rubber which has a rough finish or high gloss epoxy?

You can fill the ends of foils but you are not allowed to fill along the join (where the two extruded aluminium sections meet).

49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 9:25am
Is there also any way of fairing the metal of the foils.
Franco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Franco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 12:53pm

Simply, no.

They are two alloy extrusions which are anodiesd and then assembled. If you were to fair the section, pretty sure it would be against class rules, you would also remove the anodising and reduce the wall thickness of the alloy reducing the stifness.

Net gain, waste of time.   

The epoxy filled ends often tend to crack as it's obviously not as flexible as the ruberised originls, and the alloy does flex.

29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 1:38pm
so basically i should just save time and buy a new set.
Ross View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 1:55pm
Metal! In a foil! All this sounds like a very heavy way to make a foil.
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 2:08pm

Why does the metal part of the foil require fairing? Its against the class rules. as for pluging the ends of the foils either car body filler or BOG (epoxy and microfibres) depends on whether you want to bodge it or not. Personally i'd fill them with BOG and spend the exra time reqired to fair them as it would be a much stronger and longer lasting repair. Apparantly the rubber ends on the 29er foils are pourus (sp) so they leak after a while and make the foils heavy, if you look at most of the boats at the front of the fleet you will find that they have 'damaged' the foil ends and then put a thin layer of epoxy over them to seal them as part of the 'repair' as this would technically be against class rules, or so i've been told if it was done to enhance performance.

I'll ask my brother when I get home from work as he'll definatly know the rule.

29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 5:08pm
I think the guy who owned the boat before me was a bit of a prat, it looks like the boat was sailed somewhere where the bottom was very hard not nice soft mud. so the have been well hammered in to the ground on a few occasions.
k_kirk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote k_kirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 2:50am
I think the plastic piece at the bottom of the foil can be taken out and replaced altogether but I do not see this listed in the spares website from Ovi or PS2000 or Bethwaite. Perhaps you can write to Ovi and see if they can nick off a set for you from their production runs. Just a thought.
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 8:19am
Yeah good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12