FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er foils.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er foils.
    Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 4:26pm

I have an old set of 29er foils which came with my boat. The plastic bottoms of the foils have been cracked and knocked out by the previous owner running aground. Does anyone know what would be the best material to fill the holes and how i would go about fairing them again.

Cheers

George

Smight at BBSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 6:16pm

Is that you cooky?

RS600 988
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 6:52pm
Maybe. haha.
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 7:16pm
Firstly, check your class rules.  I know of an incident invovling a very lengthy discussion and protests etc when someone was deciding exactly what could be used as the "carpet" inside the foil cases...
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 7:18pm
I've got to be the only Cherub owner who dosn't know the answer to that question. But if was to hazard a guess, I would say it involved this miracle know as "bog". Which i think is just sticky stuff mixed with glass and....stuff...
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 7:21pm

epoxy & microballoons - Very impressive stuff :D

car body filler works too :D

Franko

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 7:42pm

Thanks I will try that,

Cheers

George

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 07 at 11:31pm
You can get car body filler with glass fibre mixted in.  That might be tougher and if you spatular it in place and then cover with cling film you'll be able to roughly mould it into shape.  The when its hard a little sandpapering should sort it out.
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 8:49am
I have found that , certainly on cast resin laser type foils, that if you drill tiny holes in the edge of the foil and araldite stainless pins or wire into those holes, building filler round them, it helps to stop the repair falling off. For a very big repair I once self tapped a stainless screw in and ground off the head afterwards.
29er310 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 9:15am

Im not sure drilling into the metal foils would be a good idea, they are the old design so they are metal filled with some type of foam and the the ends are capped by plastic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>