FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best wipe-outs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
hurricane View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 10:14pm
brian have you ever sailed one??
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 10:18pm
of course!..... i mean ... no.
i have in spirit! cmon, who cares how comfortable or watever it is if ur blasting along?
Bruce Starbuck View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bruce Starbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 11:09pm

Well, as it's already been established that no-one here can define what a skiff is, I don't see the difference between a 400 and a 59er. They are both assymetric, 2 person, sitting out sailing boats, except that a 59er is a bit faster!

I've never rated the 400 as having a particularly great handicap. It's okay, but not great. Merlins however, have a superb handicap. They must be pretty similar in performance.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 12:37am

What I was trying to say was that its the fastest sitting out 2 person boat.  Actually I deliberately ignored the B14 and I had forgotten about the 59er.  However after consideration I'd be prepared to stick to my guns.  I ignore the B14 because its a special case with very wide wings and the 59er I suspect is fast sailing deep downwind but pretty poor at most of the rest, (I haven't sailed one though).

The 400 on the other hand is good over a very wide wind range and sails up its handicap on most points of sailing.  I think one has to accept its a pretty remarkable boat, having no trapeze and yet faster than many trapeze boats.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 7:28am
Originally posted by redback

What I was trying to say was that its the fastest sitting out 2 person boat.  Actually I deliberately ignored the B14 and I had forgotten about the 59er.  However after consideration I'd be prepared to stick to my guns.  I ignore the B14 because its a special case with very wide wings and the 59er I suspect is fast sailing deep downwind but pretty poor at most of the rest, (I haven't sailed one though).

The 400 on the other hand is good over a very wide wind range and sails up its handicap on most points of sailing.  I think one has to accept its a pretty remarkable boat, having no trapeze and yet faster than many trapeze boats.

Because it does not fit your argument?  Come on, If I was to say that the Mini is the fastest car in the world because all the faster ones are special cases I would be ridiculed.

F16 GBR 553 - Hungry Monster - For sale
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
I also talk sport here
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 9:46am

Just as well we all like different boats for many and varied reasons otherwise....... how big would the start line be, how dull would a regatta look if all the boats were the same. At the end of the day if it floats and has a sail then it's good, it may not win a race but it should be fun just the same.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 9:46am
Originally posted by redback

I sail 400 a fair bit, I like them and I think they're pretty much the ideal two hander for the middle sized reservoir my club is on. But boy, do they have a top speed problem. They're a real so fast and no faster boat.

But to be fair the hull shape and so on decisions that cause that also make them into a more interesting boat to sail in sub planing conditions than the skiff types. Basically though its an updated and somewhat detuned Merlin (never mind that pointless MRX thing) which very much explains its virtues and vices.

Lack of top speed does not make for a bad boat, it makes for a different boat, and like I said above, I can't think of a better twio hander for moderate sized inland venues. Its just that I've spent quite a bit of team hanging out the side on reaches wondering when the afterburner is going to kick in the way it does on my Cherub:-)
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 12:20pm
are you Jim that sails a blue cherub? Norweigen blue? Were you at the Mayflower Final Fling?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

are you Jim that sails a blue cherub? Norweigen blue? Were you at the Mayflower Final Fling?

Yes,No,Yes

(Norwegian Blue is red at the moment, that's Lucy's boat (for now). Mine is the blue one in your photos.)

Edited by JimC
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 04 at 2:43pm

ahh, it all makes sense now!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>