FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000, 3000 or Something Else?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nihil View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nihil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000, 3000 or Something Else?
    Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 8:57pm
Hello folks, this is my first post on these forums, so be gentle ;-)

Righty then, I am in need of advice. I’m looking to buy a boat! (helpful, given the nature of this forum), but I’m not sure what will suit best.

To give you guys little background, I am a 23 year old bloke from south-west England who has been sailing on and off for many years. I started out in optimists, in which I did my RYA level 1 when I was 13, then moved on a year later to toppers to do my level 2.

I also sailed a few times in my grandfather’s old Osprey (what a massive old wooden beastie that was! Still, it went like stink).

However, all of this sounds a lot more impressive than it is since I sadly got ME shortly after finishing level 2 and was thus unable to sail for about six years, tho I am thankfully now fully recovered.

I was reintroduced to sailing when I went tooling around the Solent in a 44 foot Yacht for three days for a Uni module about teamwork, and after that I was determined to start properly again.

Earlier this summer, my sister announced that she wanted to start sailing, and since she lives in Falmouth (the lucky so and so) it seemed like a great opportunity for me to get back into it. We did a full weeks sailing course down there (5 days in a Laser Stratos, pico’s and a bosun) getting me a second set of level 1 and 2 certificates since I figured I needed a refresher, and my sister her first set, and the sailing bug :-).

I found that I remembered everything really easily, but I am by no means an experienced sailor as you can most likely tell.

For those interested, I am about 11.5 stone and my sister is somewhere around 7.5/8 (being a lady, she doesn’t disclose her true weight apparently)

All of which leads me to: The boat.

Both me and sis want to get into racing and basic performance sailing, but are also realistic about our level of experience. Ideally I would like a boat that we can grow into, starting out pootling about with just the jib and main, and then moving onto sailing with a kite and hopefully with the crew on a wire. The long term aim is to end up sailing with both of us on wires in a full on racing dingy, but clearly that’s a looooooong way off.

I am thinking of going for a laser 3000, since it has all the features we would need to start the crew trapezeing and sailing with a Gennaker, but many reviews suggest it is quite forgiving. However, I have also looked at the 2000, which would be even more forgiving by all accounts, but lacks the wire for the crew. I haven’t really looked into other boat manufacturers yet, but I’m willing to look at anything really.

Based on all the rambling, what do the people with the know-how think?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

- Nihil
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 9:06pm
I think you can fit a trapeze to a 2000, but you could also have a 2000 for your first set of aims then move into a trapeze boat afterwards maybe?
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 9:23pm
The 3000 is pretty brisk, maybe a tad advanced. The 2000 is forgiving but quite a lump. In a situation where you don't have strong views about what you might want to yacht in it's a good idea to wander down to the club you plan to sail at, find out what the popular boats are, and blag a ride in a few of them. Gives you a more informed decision. Don't forget to heave one about off the water as well as on!
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 07 at 11:19pm

With your combined crew weight a 3000 would be a good match; it would be much cheaper secondhand and lighter to wheel around too than a 2k (and much more fun!). But as Jim C says, it may be a little brisk for a level 2 sailor (although 3000's are stable, and i've always said that if another dinghy is out sailing in a blow, a Laser 3000 can be out there too - the sails are small and manageable)

Where are you based when not in Falmouth? We've no members that far South West, but might be able to fix you up with a demo elsewhere? PM me if you're interested, and do have a browse of the class website below.

Nihil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nihil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 07 at 3:28pm
Cheers for the response folks, much appreciated.

Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Where are you based when not in Falmouth?

I live about 45 mins from Southampton in Hampshire.

Originally posted by JimC

wander down to the club you plan to sail at, find out what the popular boats are, and blag a ride in a few of them.

A good plan, except I don’t know exactly what the plan is regarding location. I may well be sailing quite a bit in Falmouth, but as I said, I’m based in Hampshire, so I really aught to find a club around here. Anyone know a good club in Hants?

As for the boat being a little advanced, that’s kinda what I figured the response would be, but I was hoping it would be just within ‘reach’ so to speak, so that we could grow into it as our skills developed.

Since several people on this forum and others have described the 2000 as a ‘lump’ or a ‘tank’, which isn’t the most flattering description, (and it costs quite a bit) can anyone suggest an alternative that offers similar performance/forgiving flexibility from a different manufacturer? I have always been more familiar with lasers than boats from people like RS etc.

The plan at the moment would seem to be getting a 2k or something equivalent, then flogging it in a year or two and getting a V3000, since its apparently even better than the old 3k was.

- Nihil
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 07 at 5:48pm
Its a bit unfair to call a 2k a tank.  I think they are nice boats, their not gonna set the world on fire but they are brisk enough in a blow behave like a proper boat whilst your learning the basics and maintain their value well when you decide to move to something quicker.  Don't be goaded into picking a boat just within reach, you will simply spend your time swimming, worrying or staying ashore.  IMHO i'd get something along the lines of a 2K learn a bit more, reinforcing correct technique in a boat you can handle.  Also you'll learn a whole lot more about racing in a boat which is upright!
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 07 at 10:45pm
As much as i hate to say it, a laser vago is a reasonably forgiving ride and can be sailed in light to medium breezes with no trapeze (or even a f5 with the big main and the kite with noone wearing a harness across weymouth bay lol) and cn always be reefed cos the reefing system is quite simple and quick to use, even though i don't actualy like the boat!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 07 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Nihil

I live about 45 mins from Southampton in Hampshire.

Give us a closer location and we'll give you some suggestions on clubs... 45 mins, north, west, what?
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 07 at 8:42am
Again look at what is sailed at the club(s) you want to sail at. If you are only 45 minutes from Southampton I think it will be say that there is a variety of clubs to join, from sea sailing to lake sailing. So depending on which club you want to join might affect the boat you will want to sail.
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 07 at 4:37pm

As a sailing instructor I'd say that the 3000 is going to be a little too much to handle after a level2 course, like wise the Vago.

The L2000 should provide a challenge, it may also be worth looking at rs200, a Lark might be a good cheeper alternative, all be it with out an assimetric.

Lark 2170
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>