FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Development for the mature sailor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Harry44981! View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 6:38pm
Why don't we build a little version at the same tme called a millenium robin or summit- for the non horizontally challenged among us!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Harry44981!

Why don't we build a little version at the same tme called a millenium robin or summit- for the non horizontally challenged among us!

What, like this?

(That's Lucy Lee on the wire BTW) Photo © Claire Spens

Edited by JimC
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:16pm

Jim, did you build that yourself?

iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:37pm

Hi Harry,

There is a design of National Twelve called a 'Pipedream'. They were popular in the early 80's, and had a very narrow bow.  They also pointed very close to the wind but were prone to nose diving, offwind, in a blow, if the crew weight was not well back.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:45pm

Hi Brian,

There are two boats called a Falcon.  One was a family cruiser designed by Fairey Marine and was 16' 6" long. The boats were sailed by up to four people.

The other boat is called the Liverpool Bay Falcon.  I have a friend who sails one at West Kirby S.C. on the Wirral where there are a fleet.  They are a big dinghy, 19' 3" long and, I think, sailed by a crew of three.

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:47pm
How about calling it "bullit"
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 7:59pm

Hi Phil,

I think that there was a class called 'Bullit' (or similar spelling), in the 80's, which was supposed to be a trainer boat for the Fireball. I don't think many were made though.

Lucy Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 04 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by bigwavedave

Jim, did you build that yourself?

No, he didn't but Jim did build his own boat and there's a photo of that somewhere further back on this thread.

The boat in the picture was designed and built by the guy helming it (Andy Paterson), he's won the Nationals four times in that boat.

Not with me crewing tho', we were just mucking about in that photo. Andy sails competitvely with his daughter Alex who is much, much better than me!

Fly Cherub!
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 12:59am
Re the earlier comment "Before I started sailing, in my mid thirties, I had played rugby union from being a child. In that sport very good 'big uns' would always beat very good 'little uns' as the playing field was always the same."

Yup, and in basketball the tall guys do better, and in league, and in many other games.

Dinghy sailing is perfect revenge for all of us who are short and light......we LOVE to see you guys suffer in a dinghy, and we feel just as much compassion for you as you did when you used to push us into the mud and trample over us for a try

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 6:57am
Originally posted by hurricane

ok that has to be made on PRO DESKTOP right???? 

oh and i suggest TYPHOON as a good name for the class

Nope - Hullform 9S (freebie download).

JimC - yes I have had a look at the ++, but this is more Woof cross P7 cross my own ideas.  Its about 800mm wide on the waterline and any body can have a copy of the Hullform file if they want to build one...

Think I'll call it a Slingshot - bit naff but it was designed in Singapore....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>