FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy Development for the mature sailor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Dago View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy Development for the mature sailor
    Posted: 17 Dec 04 at 8:59pm

There are plenty of classes around for those young, trendy 20-40 somethings, but what about us of a more mature status total crew weights 180+ kgs range, looking for a single trapeze 2-man boat for the not so athletic to find exciting to race.

Are there any plans forthcoming, if not why not! 

All over the Country I know that the same conversation takes place in every Club, where the modern twin trapese classes are raced. there is a great number of like minded sailors out there who are just waiting for the boat to arrive. 

There are plenty of symmetric spinnaker trapese boats around, but no one yet has developed a more modern assymetric class.

Come on you designers, get cracking!

Dago
RS400
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 04 at 9:21pm
They're there already.  Those of us that sail them call them catamarans....
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 04 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Dago

There are plenty of symmetric spinnaker trapese boats around, but no one yet has developed a more modern assymetric class.

[

OK its no string but isn't that exactly what the 59er was designed to do? It will happily stuff any single string symettric kite boat you care to name...
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 04 at 9:57pm
Oooooohhhh, I don't know about that Jim. The 59ers racing in Sydney (there's only a couple, including Frank's) are similar in pace to the B14s and 29ers at Woollahra SC, I'm told ( by one of the top B14ers, confirmed by other reports). So an FD or 505 or (here) Aust. Sharpie would be a major problem for a 59er.

GM; as a guy who sails monos and cats, can I say it REALLY seems counter-productive when a question re dinghies is answered by saying "sail a cat"?

And how many crewed single-wire assy cats are there anyway???

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 4:12pm
And of course as weel as the FD and 5o5 there's the Osprey and Javelin. All quick boats that carry weight well and fast.  Check out www.fastsail.org for a bit of info.
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by Chris 249

answer lots

the best one has to be the dart 18 or old tornado

Dago View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 5:22pm

The point of my original question was to ask why despite many assymetric dinghies around, no one has yet produced a single trapese, 2 man assymetric, that will carry 180 kgs! Yes there is the 59er, also RS400, but they are bothing hiking boats. Yes we have the Laser 4000 as well, but like the Iso, really is better suited to lighter weight crews.

Being an ex FD sailors, I know my crew and I have already sailed the best symmetric dinghy there is, but we have been searching for a suitable boat for the last few years and there ain't anything out there!

I see from the current issue of YandY, that laser are bringing out another boat at the Boat Show, but judging by the picture it looks again to cater for the lighter crews.

There is definately a large market out here to be tapped, so come on what about it!

Dago
RS400
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 6:14pm

I think you dismiss the Laser 4000 too easily.  Both at 90kg is at the top end but the performance equalisation system means you wouldn't be at much disadvantage.  Something you possibly haven't considered is that a modern rig like the 4000's is very adjustable and can develope quite a lot of power even in 8-10Knots.  Its a long time since I sailed a FD but I feel there is more need for the crew to be out on the wire in 10Knots than there is with a Dutchman.  What of course you will find is that everything happens faster in a 4000 so there is a bit more emphasis on doing the right thing, rather than sheer strength. 

What might also influence you is that real light weights do find the 4000 a handfull, the main is particularly heavy at medium wind speeds (not so much when it blows since you then use the kicker), and you need quite a burst of energy to get the kite up.  Finally if you're crew is really butch they can dispense with the 2:1 on the jib sheets.

By the way I've sailed both the Dutchman and the 5o5 and would like to bet that both would be left well behind in a F5 on a broad reach.  Perhaps Y&Y would like to do a comparison?

Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by hurricane

Originally posted by Chris 249

answer lots

the best one has to be the dart 18 or old tornado

Huh? Did someone stick an assy on the Dart 18 and OLD Tornado without telling anyone? I thought they were single wire non-spinnaker boats, not single-wire ASSY boats  which is what the post was all about?

Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 10:07pm
nice one chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>