FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zero_k View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zero_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Sailing
    Posted: 12 Sep 07 at 4:48pm

Just passed my Start Sailing Level 1. I'm going to complete the the level 2 next season.  I've always had an ambition to learn how to sail and now i've started I've caught the bug!!

Any way to my point.........

I'm after advice on the right boat to buy for my needs.  I'm looking for a boat I can learn\stroke imporve in, but i'd like to take the family out in for the odd day out once I'm confident in my skills.  Not sure I'm worried about racing, but you never know.

I guess I'm looking for a good all rounder.  Ideas???

Edited by zero_k
Cheers
ZK
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 07 at 5:30pm
Where are you going to sail? When you're starting out its good to have other folk with similar boats around you so you can compare notes. Having the only XX at your club is usually best delayed for a few years (speaking as someone who owned the only ++ at this World, but only after twenty years of sailing).
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 07 at 5:54pm
Enterprise - but you'll need a crew.

Streaker - on your own and occasionally with other's

Edited by Jack Sparrow
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 07 at 10:28pm
boats you can easily sail alone, but sometimes take the folk out in are unusual.  Most dinghies being either too small to fit two in or too powerful for one.  You can fit a passenger in most single handers, but they'll be squashed and won't have much to do but ride.

Picos and Mirrors are good for starters, but you'll soon find them dull.

Maybe get your level 2 and blag goes in as many other boats as poss with as many other people as poss.  Then make up your mind.

A holiday with Neilson in Porto Helli or with Majorca Sailing in .. erm Majorca is a good start, as they've both a wide range of boats to try out.  All their boats are new and hence expensive to buy - but it will give you some ideas of what sort of thing you want.

When I was in your position some years back, we bought an old Laser 2 Fun with reefable sails.  Sailed it single handed, double handed, hiked and trapezed. But it scared my wife silly and was totally useless for racing. 

Edited by NickA
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
zero_k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zero_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 8:04am
 What about a Wayfarer???
Cheers
ZK
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 9:24am

A Mirror would be a great starting point,  their light weight means they are easily to handle by one ashore and afloat,  but there is space for a family.  You sit in a Mirror,  which inspires confidence in beginners.  There are plenty of them of around,  and they can  be picked up cheaply for those on a budget.

A modern racing Mirror is also a very good sail,  with a tweakable rig to challenge sailors of all abilities,  racing is very close and competitive.

See www.ukmirrorsailing.com

www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 10:05am

Originally posted by zero_k

What about a Wayfarer???

The Wayfarer is big enough to take your entire family including distant cousins. However, it can be a bit of a handful for a beginner (and beginner's crew - the jib/genoa is massive). It used to be a common teaching boat because of its size but I found it awkward to teach in because of the "long walk" when tacking. I couldn't recommend it

I think the Miracle is a better choice than the Mirror. But I'd also point you down the road of a Laser2000 perhaps. You'll need your Level2 (but you'll need that for anything) but it's nicely behaved, not overcanvassed and, as you progress, the assymetric spinnaker is easier to learn than a symmetric one. It's comfortable to sit in and there's enough room for a couple of passengers.

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 6:20pm
Id agree with the mirror. Cheap, very stable, get a few people in, brilliant for beginners etc..that'd be my choice. Oh and you can sail them singlehanded.
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 7:31pm

Bosuns are great for learning in. Stable, definatly roomy plus they are literally bomb proof

RS600 988
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Smight at BBSC

Bosuns are great for learning in. Stable, definatly roomy plus they are literally bomb proof

Don't get a Bosun, get a bigger bomb! Don't Bosuns need double-axle trailers to spead the load? Seriously, don't get one. The steel centre-board can decapitate you and you'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't leak all over the place. They are still popular with Sea Cadets as they were originally designed for the Royal Navy in the 60s. Apparently part of the Navy's requirement was that they could be dropped from a moving aircraft carrier or something without damage. If I was swimming in shark-infested waters and a Bosun came to my rescue I'd probably take my chances. Certainly up there in my list of worst dinghies ever.

(and breathe)

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>