FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

International Moth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
7BOS View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 7BOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International Moth
    Posted: 17 Dec 04 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by BlueMouse

Weight - 75kg is OK, some of the current UK regulars are around or more than this (no names, well at least for now...).

80Kg plus is a good weight, trust me. not much hiking needed upwind. How heavy was nige when he won the nationals? Point proved.

7BOS

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 04 at 8:37am

Originally posted by 7BOS

How heavy was nige when he won the nationals? Point proved.

It might be proved if you actually told us.

DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 05 at 11:10pm
Fizzicist:  After ten years in Lasers, and having won a lot of club level series, the 300 has been a real wake up call - after 6 months in a 300 I have learned more than I did in the last 6 years of Laser sailing.

Yes... And therefore if you get a moth you'll learn even more...  Haven't seen any 300s anywhere for agea now and suspect the class will go the same way as the EPS.  The moths by comparison are on a major upswing and while £2000 might get you a second hand 300, it would also get you most of the way to an older narrow moth fitted with a hydrofoil kit from downunder.  And frankly it doesn't matter how many hours swimming it takes to master that, it'll be well worth it!

From the handling point of view, being a mid-fleet N12 sailor experience wise, i found being set adrift in a moth a challenge but could definitely see that it would be do-able to get the basics after a few weekends.  Moths are also rather easy to transport and move around the dinghy park which helps!!!

T
mothball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mothball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 05 at 6:04pm
If you're looking for adrenaline, speed and hard work the moth is defenitly it. However, if you aren't prepared to look stupid sailing it and be laughed at lots in the beginning you won't succeed. I bought my moth in the summer and I still make many, many mistakes. I've worked at it, though and it was absolutely amazing to sail with the really good guys at an open in October. It's worth the hard work if you put the effort in. Also, if you can make some opens, it's really helpful. I was scared at first, especially considering I am one of 2 female mothies, but they're all really nice and the racing can be serious or not serious depending on what you want. All of the people were really nice. Go for the moth - you don't was a 300 trust me!
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 05 at 11:06pm
mothball, what moth do you have?
Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
fizzicist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fizzicist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 05 at 10:09am

Discoball - I thought about a Moth, but at 90Kg there was simply no point. The 300 was the boat of choice because it was cheap to buy, low maintenance, has an absolute bandit's handicap when sailed well and can carry one of the widest competitive weight ranges going.

As for the class, well it's very much alive and kicking thank you and will be on the fat face circuit this year, just as it was last year.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital
ingredient in beer.
frankie_is_sad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote frankie_is_sad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 05 at 11:58pm
Are you sure you dont mean international catterpillar?
John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 1:13am

The Fastacraft Moths are now all made with a narrow trolley and often have a two piece mast. With this the whole boat packs into a freight box that is just 0.5m wide. This make for very affordable travel costs compared to just about any other class. See you in Italy this summer I hope!

stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 05 at 7:07pm

easy to transport then

bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 05 at 9:59am
Looks like the box weighs more than the boat 

Edited by bigwavedave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>